Originally intended as a new Meatless Monday option, this recipe for quinoa burger is so good that I now find myself making it all throughout the week. I think it also has to be the one of the easiest veggie burger recipes ever. Although I think my Black Bean Burger with lime-soaked chia seeds and walnut crumbs might still be my favorite meatless burger of all time, this one is much easier to make 😉
Secret to the Easiest Ever Recipe for Quinoa Burger
Starting with already cooked quinoa is definitely the secret to making this veggie burger easily.
For what it is worth, the simplest and best way to cook quinoa is in a rice cooker. In fact, I cook ALL of my whole grains in my rice cooker. I use the organic unglazed VitaClay. I like this brand because it doesn’t have the non-stick chemical coating that most rice cookers have. It’s also aluminum and lead-free. And it cooks quinoa and all other whole grains perfectly!
Add Flavor with Your Favorite Classic Burger Toppings
As for seasoning, I’ve intentionally kept the flavor of this burger recipe on the mild side. That way you can add flavor with your favorite classic burger toppings.
Some of my favorites include:
- Organic spinach
- Sliced tomatoes
- Whole grain buns (I like sprouted whole grain buns from Food for Life)
- Ketchup (I either make my own Clean Ketchup Recipe OR use Sir Kensington’s brand)
- Mayo (Again, I either make my own Clean Mayo Recipe OR use Primal Kitchen brand)
- REAL pickles (naturally fermented Real pickles, such as Bubbies brand, have many health benefits, including probiotics!)
The easiest ever recipe for quinoa burger! If the quinoa is already made, the whole recipe takes less than 20 minutes start to finish.
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely shredded (see notes below)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko crumbs (for gluten free, toast your favorite gluten free bread and process into bread crumbs)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 organic, pasture-raised egg (such as Vital Farms)
- 2 tablespoons unrefined macadamia nut oil OR organic, unrefined red palm oil
- For garnish: Avocado, tomatoes, pickles, whole grain buns and spinach
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the black eyed peas with a potato masher, making sure to leave a few chunks. Add the shallots, shredded carrots, panko crumbs, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and mix well. Add the cooked quinoa and the egg and combine.
- Using clean hands, form the mixture into six individual patties and place on a large plate.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Reduce the heat to medium, place the patties in the pan, and cook until golden brown, about 5-minutes. Carefully flip and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes more.
- Assemble the burgers on buns on a platter. Top with your favorite toppings and serve.
To shred the carrots, place 1/2 cup chopped carrots in a mini food processor and pulse until shredded.
- Category: Burger
- Cuisine: Clean Eating
LOOKING FOR MORE CLEAN EATING DINNER RECIPES?
If you liked the Recipe for Quinoa Burger, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.