How to Make Creamy Spinach – Spinach is that classic superfood that we’re always told we should be eating more of. However, not everyone is a big fan of the flavor of spinach. If you fall into this category, don’t turn your back on spinach quite yet. Why? Because I’m here to teach you how to make creamy spinach!
This Creamy Spinach Recipe will make getting your spinach in easy! Creamy, cheesy, and full of savory garlicky flavor, this vegan and gluten-free recipe is irresistible! Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
How to Make Creamy Spinach
Creamy Spinach is a quick and easy side dish that spinach lovers and spinach haters will enjoy the same! Wilted spinach simmered in a cream cheese sauce, mixed with onions and garlic for a rich and savory flavor…what more could you ask for?! Serve this up at your next family dinner, and we promise, everyone will be begging for more!
Here at Clean Cuisine, we strongly believe that milk does not do the body any good, and can actually cause harm, especially for those with autoimmune conditions or who are predisposed to such. So how do we make our our Creamy Spinach creamy and cheesy without and dairy?
How to Make Creamy Spinach Dairy-Free!
My secret to making my creamy spinach recipe dairy-free is by using plant-based Vegan cream cheese and coconut cream! Most people’s opposition to committing to a dairy-free diet is that they love cheese and milk too much. Well, let me tell you….so do I! I would never give up my cheese and milk, or any of my favorite foods for that matter! Instead of restricting these foods, I simply swap them for more anti-inflammatory alternatives. Clean, anti-inflammatory eating is all about swaps, not restrictions!
So what dairy-free swaps were made in this recipe? They’re actually quite simple and easy to source!
Swap Cream for Coconut Cream: Coconut cream is the perfect swap for dairy-based cream, and tastes completely the same when combined with other flavors and spices in a recipe like this! Thick and creamy, simply choose a coconut cream without any added ingredients or gums, and you’re good to go!
Dislike coconut? You can even make your very own Cashew Cream from home with just 5 minutes of hands-on time.
Swap Cream Cheese for Vegan Cream Cheese: When it comes to vegan cream cheese, it’s actually super quick easy to make a cream cheese from home! However, if you’re in a rush or simply don’t want the extra work, there are tons of easily-accessible dairy-alternatives in store that would be the perfect replacement.
Main Dishes for Creamy Spinach
Liked mentioned earlier, this Recipe for Creamy Spinach is the perfect quick and easy side dish. Here are some of my favorite meals to pair it with!
Crab Cake with Old Bay: This Crab Cake Recipe with Old Bay is the BEST Crab Cake recipe ever and it’s healthy. Crab cakes are gluten and dairy free, no refined oils.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese: Homemade Macaroni and Cheese is a perfect comfort food. Our recipe uses gluten free pasta and a dairy free creamy sauce.
Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa: Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa is a delicious Mexican-flavored recipe with black beans, corn, cilantro and loaded with vegetables.
Ready for the full recipe? Let’s get into it!
How to Make Creamy Spinach
This Creamy Spinach Recipe will make getting your spinach in easy! Creamy, cheesy, and full of savory garlicky flavor, this vegan and gluten-free recipe is irresistible! Ready to learn more?
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- 10 cups fresh spinach
- 1 small-medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup coconut cream, or vegan cream alternative
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2.5 teaspoons minced garlic, + more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Avocado oil, enough to coat the bottom of a skillet
- Begin by washing, and thoroughly drying spinach (pat with a paper towel).
- Chop onion into small pieces.
- Heat large skillet on the stovetop on medium heat, with enough avocado oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.
- Once skillet is hot, add spinach and onion, and sauté for 5-10 minutes, or until spinach is wilting and onions are beginning to crisp.
- Add in minced garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic is turning a golden brown color.
- Add in coconut cream, vegan cream cheese, salt, and tapioca flour.
- Turn stovetop to a medium low heat, and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. *This will give the mixture time to thicken, and absorb all of the flavors.
- Remove from heat, and serve warm. Enjoy!
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Keywords: How to Make Creamy Spinach