How to cook broccoli rabe to perfection is a skill I only recently mastered. Broccoli rabe (also known as rapini) just was not a vegetable I grew up eating. Actually, I had never even heard of broccoli raab until after I graduated from college. These days, broccoli rabe is one of my most favorite vegetables. But trust me, I know it is a somewhat intimidating vegetable to cook. In fact, even though I ordered broccoli raab frequently in restaurants, for the longest time I avoided cooking it in my own kitchen because the few times I did try it turned out terrible—bitter and just downright awful tasting.
Lucky for me a dear family friend, Joe Riti, who happens to be a master of Italian cooking (and who grew up eating broccoli rabe by the pound!) was kind enough to teach me how to make the best tasting broccoli rabe ever. And best of all….it is super easy to do!
Joe Riti Shows Me How to Cook Broccoli Rabe To Perfection
What To Do With Cooked Broccoli Rabe?
How to Cook Broccoli Rabe Perfectly
One quick note before you start cooking…the whole bulb of garlic called for in the recipe is not a mistake! One thing Joe has taught me is not to be afraid to use an outrageous amount of chopped garlic…the more the better.Print
- 1 large bunch of fresh broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 whole bulb of fresh peeled garlic, coarsely chopped (use a mini food processor to make this easy)
- Pink Himalayan sea salt, to taste
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Trim the thick tough stems from the broccoli rabe then rinse and pat very dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add the chopped garlic and sauté briefly, 30-45 seconds.
- Add the broccoli rabe, toss to coat in the oil and garlic and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli wilts. After 3 minutes, add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with 1 tablespoon of water and salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Add an additional tablespoon of water ever 3 minutes or so, stirring each time. Cook broccoli rabe for about 20 minutes total or until it is very, very wilted. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Serving Size: 4