Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate remind me of childhood Christmas parties. Delicious cookies on platters and these Thumbprint Cookies are one of my favorites.
So much so that I also made a Thumbprint Cookie with raspberry jelly. Of course, you can use any flavor, but raspberry tastes so delightful.
Ah, the sweetness of sweets. With the holidays in full swing, there is no better excuse for making something sweet to eat than right now. If you only have time to bake one batch this season, my special dairy free / gluten free thumbprint chocolate cookie recipe featured below is guaranteed not to disappoint.
Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate are Easy and Healthy!
I had to laugh out loud when I stumbled across the Cookie Monster quote above because I think even the cleanest eater on the planet would have to admit that enjoying a good cookie is one of life’s little pleasures.
“Today me will live in the moment, unless it is unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie.”—Cookie Monster
With the thumbprint cookies with chocolate cookie recipe you can get the pleasure of enjoying a seriously good cookie without worrying about consuming a mouthful of junk.
How to Make Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate
I am pretty sure this thumbprint cookie is the most-frequently made sweet treat on our site. We get emails often around the holidays about how delicious and easy they are to make.
Omega-3 Rich Almonds
Truly, the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, probably because the ingredients are so surprisingly healthful and simple. Plus, you are absolutely not sacrificing taste at all. I even managed to spike the cookies with omega-3 rich almond flour.
Dairy Free Chocolate Chips from Enjoy Life
We use a high quality vegan dark chocolate chip (such as Enjoy Life brand “Dark Chocolate Morsels”). So delicious and healthier than the conventional chocolate chips made with dairy and lots and lots of sugar.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is Tasty!
The extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil) is used in place of butter. If you’ve never baked with coconut oil, you must give it a try. It’s a one-for-one swap with butter (and margarine).
Whole Grain Flour Replaces White Flour
In this thumbprint cookies with chocolate recipe, gluten free flour, almond flour and cashew flour make the flour mixture. This mixture is not only nutty and delicious, it’s also 100% whole grain with nut flours.
Sweetened with Whole Foods
Sweetened with “whole food” maple syrup, which keep our thumbprint cookies free from added refined sugar! (Note: the chocolate chips contain a small amount of sugar, but the amount is minimal when considering each cookie only contains about 4 or 5 little chocolate morsels.)Print
Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate
Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate are a delightful Christmas cookie. Contains no refined sugar and is made with whole grain and nut flours!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 16
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or use a non-toxic baking stone.
- In a large bowl, add the almond flour, cacao powder, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour in the maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla (and mint extract, if using) and combine with a wooden spoon.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
- Roll tablespoon-size portions of the dough into balls. Place on the parchment-lined cookie sheets and press a moist moist 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon into the center of each dough ball. If your balls seems dry – add another 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup to moisten the dough.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 7 minutes. Open the oven and reverse the position of the pans; bake for another 7. Remove cookies from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Add 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a double broiler and stir over medium heat until fully melted. If using the microwave, be sure to use a microwave-safe dish for 15 seconds at a time. Stirring in between.
- Drop 1/2 a teaspoon full into each cookie and let sit for 20 minutes for the chocolate to set.