How a Cup of Garbanzo Bean Soup Can Help Reduce Inflammation, Balance Hormones and MoreDid you know that increasing your intake of fiber-rich garbanzo beans can help lower systemic inflammation? Fiber has been show to help reduce C-reactive protein levels, which is a measure of inflammation in your bloodstream. (1) Garbanzo bean soup and other fiber-rich bean soups can also be particularly helpful for keeping you feeling full and satisfied, which is critical for long term weight management. And, did you know that simply reducing body fat will in and of itself reduce whole body inflammation? In addition, adding more fiber to your diet in the form of beans could help balance hormones, specifically estrogen dominance. Having too much estrogen circulating around is a big issue these days (for both women AND men!) Estrogen dominance is associated with a number of different very bothersome symptoms including depression/ mood swings, weight gain, infertility, loss of libido, etc. There are a number of different lifestyle changes you can make to balance estrogen, but one of the easiest things to do is to simply get more fiber in your diet. Fiber binds itself to “bad” estrogens and helps eliminate them from your body, which in turn helps balance hormones. All beans, including garbanzo beans, are also a great source of antioxidants and plant-based anti-aging and anti-inflammatory substances called phytonutrients. Who knew adding a tasty cup of garbanzo bean soup to your daily diet could do so much!
Boosting the Flavor of Your Garbanzo Bean Soup RecipeIf you want to add more flavor to your bean soup, try adding just 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme when sautéing the leeks and zucchini.
Recipe: Fiber-Rich Garbanzo Bean Soup
- Yield: 6 1x
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- ½ cup chopped dried apple
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or macadamia nut oil)
- 1 large shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 medium leeks (finely chopped)
- 2 medium zucchini (finely chopped)
- 1 Granny Smith apple (finely chopped)
- Unrefined sea salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place the water, chickpeas, garlic, hemp seeds, dried apple and lemon juice in a VItamix and process until smooth and creamy. Set chickpea cream aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; add the shallots and sauté 3-4 minutes, until shallots are soft. Add the leeks, zucchini and apple and sauté 6 to 7 minutes, until vegetables and apples are very tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove saucepan from the heat.
- Transfer half of the leek, zucchini and apple mixture to the Vitamix with the chickpea cream and pulse several times (note: do not aggressively puree the mixture as you want to leave it slightly textured.)
- Pour the chickpea cream mixture into the saucepan with the remaining sautéed leeks, zucchini and apple. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Put the saucepan back on the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Hungry For More Garbanzo Bean Recipes?Check out some of my favorite garbanzo bean recipes in the links below….
- Easy Lunch Recipes with Garbanzo Beans
- Garbanzo Bean Bread Triangles
- Mason Jar Garbanzo Bean, Farro and Greens Salad