Making a healthy breakfast for the whole family can easily turn into a time-consuming ordeal, especially if you factor in the preparation and clean-up. Why not set aside an extra 15 minutes Sunday afternoon to bake this gluten free muffin recipe?
I am not much of a morning person and I always have a hard time getting out the door first thing. Having a grab and go wholesome breakfast seriously saves me so much time. Not to mention stress. Muffins and homemade breakfast bars are two of my favorite make-ahead morning meals.
Unlike the typical gluten free muffin recipe mix you might buy from the store, making your own muffins from scratch allows you to use the best nourishing whole food ingredients. The recipe below is made with 100% whole grains, is dairy-free and owes all of its sweetness to nutritious “whole” fruits in the form of bananas and dates. By including the whole grain and the whole fruit, you not only retain all of the antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, you also retain all of the fiber.
Speaking of fiber, if you are following our anti-inflammatory nutrition program, did you know that fiber plays a critical role in reducing inflammation? Simply increasing your fiber intake can lower inflammation and even reduce C-reactive protein levels, which is a measure of inflammation in your bloodstream. (1)
But back to getting out the door in a hurry…
The only thing I add to my grab-n-go gluten free muffin recipe is a glass “whole” orange or “whole” grapefruit juice.To make “whole” orange or grapefruit juice, simply peel the fruit, cut into large chunks and add the chunks along with some ice cubes to a blender. Process until smooth and frothy. So delish!Print
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup medium grind organic whole grain cornmeal (such as Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean’s)
- 6 pitted dates
- 2 organic (pastured eggs (such as Vital Farms))
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and position the racks low in the oven. Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put the rolled oats in a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) or food processor; process into flour. Add the oat flour, cornmeal, brown rice flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a high-speed blender, add the coconut oil, dates, eggs, almond milk, bananas and vanilla extract; process until smooth and creamy.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry, and mix gently (Note: over mixing will result in hard muffins) Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Spoon the muffin mix into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from the oven and set aside to cool for 5 to 8 minutes. Best served warm.
P.S. Do You Have a Favorite Gluten Free Muffin Recipe?
If you have a favorite healthy and wholesome whole grain gluten free muffin recipe you make for your family, I would love to know about it! Please feel free to share the link in the comments below. xoxo
1. Ajani UA, Ford ES, Mokdad AH. “Dietary fiber and C-reactive protein: findings from national health and nutrition examination survey data.” J Nutr. 2004. May;134(5):1181-1185.