I hurt my back recently too (not sure doing what? But, the pain has been going into my thigh and sciatic nerve and it’s very, very annoying—not excruciating—just highly aggravating. Sort of like someone is buzzing in your ear ALL. DAY. LONG.) Anyway, because of the back/ leg issue I’ve been doing a lot more core strength exercises these days. So, this workout recruits a lot of stabilizing muscles from your back, hips and abdominal region plus incorporates a good deal of balancing exercises. By the way, I also bought the book “Pain-Free” by Pete Egosque and I’ve been doing his recommended “e-cises” (which are basically stretches) in addition to my 30-minute workout program and they seem to really be helping a lot.
My 10-minute workout program not only works your core, but it’s a full-body workout that combines strength, flexibility and endurance exercises. It’s a circuit training routine and the perfect way to get functionally fit in a very short amount of time. I recommend doing this workout 3 times a week. This is very doable as I know everybody can squeeze a 30-minute workout in (especially one that you can do at home) at least 3 times a week!! Getting and staying physically fit need not be a full time job.
Mind Body Connection
Be sure to concentrate on the movements and don’t rely on momentum. It’s always better to do the exercise with correct form and to focus on quality over quantity of reps or the amount of weight lifted. Take your time to learn the proper form and don’t use excessively heavy weights.
The only equipment you’ll need are 1 pair of dumbbells.
Beginners will want to use 3 pound dumbbells and advanced exercisers will want to use 5 pound dumbbells. Follow the below workout program 3 days a week to get fitter, firmer, faster!
30-Minute Workout Program:
- 10 minute cardio-warm up. Choose any cardio exercise you like. If you are doing this exercise at home you can go outside and do a brisk walk or jog lightly. You can also jump rope, dance, climb stairs, ride a stationary bike, etc. If you are at a gym, start the workout on your favorite cardio equipment (treadmill, bike, elliptical trainer, stair stepper, etc). For the cardio warm-up you want to increase your heart rate and work hard enough that it’s difficult to carry on a conversation.
- Ivy’s 10-minute Circuit Workout. Perform the following sequence of exercises two times through…without resting! Watch the video demo first to see how to do the exercises properly. You can then print the workout and do it anytime, anywhere!
1. Side Lunge, Leg Abduction + Knee Hold = 1 rep
8 reps Left Leg then 8 reps Right Leg
2. Plank Position + Alternating 2 Knees to Chest + Push-Up = 1 rep
3. Alternating Straight Forward Leg Lifts with Alternating Straight “Scissor Arms”
3-5 pounds / 20 reps
4. Single Leg Balancing Deadlift (Hold weights in left arm when standing on right leg and hold weights in right arm when standing on left leg):
6-10 pounds (hold 2 dumbbells in one hand) / 8 reps Left/ Right
5. Tricep Dips:
16 slow reps/ 8 fast reps
6. “Sissy Squats” with Knees on the Ground
7. Seated Tricep Pulses (with straight arms behind your back and palms facing up)
8. Side Step Plie with Upright Row and Toe Drag:
3-5 pounds / 14 reps
Thursday 13th of December 2018
I just got done trying this and my abs are on fire, lol. I love it!
Friday 14th of December 2018
YAY! So happy you like it =) thank you for letting me know!