Brown Sugar Ham Glaze – For just a few favorite holidays throughout the year, we make this brown sugar ham glaze. Of course, we choose the healthiest ham: pastured spiral ham. Since we only enjoy this delicious meat a few times a year, the brown sugar ham glaze better be incredible.
For the “brown sugar” part of our glaze – we use a delicious combination of coconut sugar and molasses. The depth of the the flavor is unbelievable delicious.
Choosing a Pastured Ham for this Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
If you’ve been around for any length of time, you know that we definitely do not promote buying deli ham weekly regularly eating pork recipes. We are a clean eating recipe site that loves eating whole and healthy foods.
But, if you’re following a mostly clean diet, then it’s okay to have things like this once in awhile. This Brown Sugar Ham Glaze on a delicious pastured ham a few times a year is okay!
Yes, really, it is okay.
Select a Pastured Ham a Farm
When you are getting ready or the next holiday, consider contacting one of these farms for their pastured spiral ham. They don’t use antibiotics, steroids, hormones or GMO foods. These pigs are completely free to roam the unconfined farmland. So, if you want the most delicious ham, then you want the most well kept pigs.
- White Oak Pastures: Click here to shop at White Oak Pastures for spiral hams and bacon. Plus many more farm meats are available.
- Dutch Meadow Farms: Located in Paradise, PA, Dutch Meadow Farms can provide you with a smoked boneless ham for this Brown Sugar Ham Glaze.
- Arcadia Farms: The Templeton Family in Connecticut raises their animals on Arcadia Farms. Stop by for a pastured raised pork.
Now let’s talk about that Brown Sugar Ham Glaze…
How to Make the BEST Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
I have to admit, not only is this the best Brown Sugar Ham Glaze, but it’s also the healthiest glaze. Yes, you could use real brown sugar. But you just need to trust me when I say that making your OWN brown sugar is better. You can do this using two very special ingredients adds such incredible depth to your dish.
With 4 simple ingredients, you really can’t mess up this recipe.
Start with Coconut Sugar and Molasses
Coconut sugar has become our go-to alternative for refined white sugar. It’s 100x healthier, more flavorful and provides a deep deliciousness to our baked goods and now this glaze. If you pair the coconut sugar with just a little bit of molasses (not more than 1 tablespoon in this recipe!), then you are essentially replacing brown sugar — and all of those empty and unhealthy calories.
Use Pure Maple Syrup (or Raw, Unfiltered Honey)
I was raised in western NY on local farmer maple syrup. When family comes to visit, they typically greet with me another gallon from home. It’s so delicious and perfect. Real maple syrup is the ONLY way I go. There are a few store brands that are a good second option. Look for: Crown Organic Grade A Maple Syrup (the real NY deal!) or Butternut Mountain Farms Grade A Maple Syrup made in Vermont.
Just a Hint of Cinnamon
Whatever you do, please don’t forget to add the cinnamon. That 1 little teaspoon does go a long way and is important to provide multiple facets of flavor. While you enjoy your brown sugar ham glaze, you’re going to taste this subtly and perfectly.
Perfect for Any Holiday Meal or Special Occasion
This brown sugar ham glaze on a pastured spiral ham is the perfect centerpiece for any holiday meal or special occasion. However, if you are going to splure on the ham, then we want to encourage you to add LOTS and LOTS of vegetable side dishes.
Check out some off favorite holiday recipes that pair perfectly with this ham!
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole – Now is the time to ditch Grandma’s Green Bean Casserole recipe made with canned mushroom soup, and move onto bigger and better things!
- Recipe for Hasselback Potatoes – If you’re looking for a stunning potato dish for a holiday dinner, this recipe for hasselback potatoes are it! Move over mashed potatoes, hasselback potatoes are here to shine.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts – If you’re looking for a savory, crispy and delicious side dish, then this roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon is perfect.
- Honey Roasted Carrots – This easy recipe for Honey Roasted Carrots is an example of how vegetables can be amazing. A simple, but delicious side dish.
Now, onto the recipe!Print
Brown Sugar Ham Glaze
Brown Sugar Ham Glaze has incredible flavor and depth. Coconut sugar, molasses, maple syrup and cinnamon. This Brown Sugar Glaze is perfect!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6–8 1x
- Category: Glaze
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 cup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw, unfiltered honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- When your ham has about 35 minutes left to cook, begin making this brown sugar ham glaze.
- In a heavy bottomed stainless steel pan, combine all ingredients and place over low heat for about 1-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Once the coconut sugar has melted, turn up the heat to medium-high heat until the glaze begins to gently boil. Reduce the heat just a little to maintain that gentle boil for about 3-4 more minutes.
- Reduce the heat down to medium-low and continue to stir every 10-15 seconds. The mixture should begin to thicken into a glaze.
- Turn the heat off and let the glaze cool for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pull the ham out of the oven and using a silicone basting brush, brush the ham with the brown sugar ham glaze until completely covered.
- Return to the oven for the last 30 minutes of cooking. Do not cover.
Still have some glaze leftover? Just warm it up on low heat for a few minutes and add to the ham when there’s about 10 minutes left. Repeat 6 and 7.
Keywords: Brown Sugar Ham Glaze