Bouillabaisse Recipe – This delicious seafood Bouillabaisse Recipe is loaded with healthful nutrition. The long ingredient list may seem a bit intimidating, but I am going to make this as easy as possible for you!
Don’t Let this Bouillabaisse Recipe Intimidate You
I am adding this to the post because we get questions about how intimidating this recipe appears to be. We have broken down the recipe to only have 5 main steps.
Although the long ingredient list might seem a bit intimidating, this incredibly delicious and nutritious Provencal stew is quite easy. Especially if you do a little prep work in the beginning.
The clean-up mess is worth it. Trust me.
How to Make the Perfect Bouillabaisse Recipe
These are the four most important things to keep in mind when making seafood-based Bouillabaisse Recipe.
#1: Have Super Fresh Seafood
Need help finding the best super fresh seafood for this recipe? Be sure to check out my 15 Best Tips here. No one likes using less-than-fresh fish, but how do you know without asking the right questions!
#2: Mise en Place (set in place) All Ingredients!
You want every single thing you plan to use in your stew is prepped and ready to go before you turn on the stove.
I admit, I don’t always organize myself before I start cooking, but for this recipe, it’s absolutely important. There are so many ingredients that go into one big pot. Here’s what a bouillabaisse recipe preparation can easily look like!
#3: Search for Canned San Marzano Tomatoes
Look for canned San Marzano tomatoes, if you can. I used these for my Oven Baked Chicken recipe and they really do stand out as exceptional tomatoes. I personally like Cento brand and you can easily find these at your local Publix. A good substitution for this would be the POM brand of tomatoes. They taste as though they were just picked the same day.
#4: Use Red Palm Oil More Often!
Not just for this recipe, but start to use organic, unrefined organic palm oil as much as possible these days. Red Palm Oil is incredibly rich in antioxidants vitamin A and E and it is more heat-stable than extra virgin olive oil.
Read more about why organic, unrefined red palm oil has become a clean eating staple pantry item in our house. If you don’t have this specialty oil though, you can always substitute extra virgin olive oil all the way.
Take Your Bouillabaisse Recipe to the Next Level… with Homemade Fish Broth
Now, if you want your bouillabaisse recipe to be out of this world delicious and over-the-top nutritious, then consider making your own fish broth.
Don’t freak out, this is a lot easier than it might sound! Plus, once you read about the incredible benefits of fish broth, you are really going to want to get into making this a staple part of your diet. I know bone broth is all the rage, but fish broth really should be right up there too.
Fish Broth is Incredibly Nutritious
I had no idea fish broth was as nutritious as it is, plus it tastes so incredibly good that I could hardly get enough of it. It was almost like I was intensely craving whatever was in there. I was so curious about the nutritional composition that I decided to do a little research.
Sure enough, homemade fish broth is a gold mine of nutrients! I was blown away by the health benefits of homemade fish broth that I am now specifically looking for clean eating recipes I can make that call for fish broth.
The Fish Broth Recipe I used for this Bouillabaisse Recipe
The fish stock for this bouillabaisse recipe below was a mild flavored one I found on Epicurious. Because it didn’t require using fish heads, it was easier to make than most fish broths. One thing to keep in mind with fish broth is that you want to simmer it over low heat in order to make sure you extract the most nutrition. Be mindful to not get the heat so high that the nutrient components break down! Just keep it going low and slow.
Bouillabaisse Recipe is both incredibly delicious and ultra-nutritious. This seafood dish is perfect for a special occasion or Sunday dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tablespoon organic palm oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cups diced red potatoes, skin on
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped fennel (about 3 bulbs)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups crisp white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 – 28 oz whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 6 cups homemade fish broth, homemade or see notes below for quick option
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 24 mussels, cleaned
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, cleaned
- 1 pound halibut, cut into large chunks
- 1 pound monkfish, cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- Heat the palm oil and extra virgin olive oil over medium-heat in a Dutch oven or large heavy stockpot (like this one from Xtrema). Add the onions, carrots, potatoes, fennel, thyme, salt and pepper; saute over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until the onions begin to brown.
- Add the wine and scrape up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Bring the mixture to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer the vegetables in the wine for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, fish stock, garlic, saffron and bay leaf to the pot; simmer 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the shrimp, mussels, clams and fish; bring liquid to a boil and then reduce the heat, cover and cook 5-minutes. The shrimp and fish should be cooked and the mussels opened. Discard any mussels that don’t open. Stir in the orange zest.
- Serve the bouillabaisse in large bowls and add the fresh parsley. Serve warm.
Keywords: Bouillabaisse Recipe
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the bouillabaisse recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.