Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe – It’s usually pretty hard for me to get super excited over a chicken dish. But, this Oven baked Chicken Thighs recipe is moist, succulent and delicious beyond words.
Your Family Will Love This Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
Plus, my grandfather says it’s the best chicken thigh recipe he has ever had! And that tells me, it must be especially delicious.
How to Make the Best Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Allowing the chicken thighs to marinate for at least 8 hours in the sauce is definitely one of the secrets to the recipe. Of course, if you don’t have the time – I understand. But, if you want the chicken thighs to be perfectly moist, prepare this casserole dish in the morning and bake it right before dinner.
Secondly, the San Marzano tomatoes is every bit as important.
Choosing the Perfectly Tomatoes: San Marzano Tomatoes
What’s the deal with San Marzano tomatoes? They are the most famous plum tomato to come out of Italy and considered by many cooks to be the best tomatoes to use in a sauce.
San Marzano tomatoes have a mild sweet flavor and low acidity and they are coveted for their firm pulp, deep red color, easy to remove skin and low seed count. All of these qualities play a very important role in the oven baked chicken thighs recipe below. I would definitely suggest that you not substitute any old canned tomato!
But believe it or not, all canned San Marzano tomatoes are not created equal. Although Cook’s Illustrated would disagree, I personally prefer Cento brand’s organic San Marzano tomatoes. It is not easy to find the organic variety at the supermarket, but if you use them as much as I do then you can order a pack of 6 from here.
The Finishing Touch for Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Don’t leave off the finishing touches! Adding either fresh oregano or fresh basil and a few pinches of crushed red pepper are not just afterthoughts.
These seasonings contribute just the right flavor to your oven baked chicken thighs casserole dish.
What to Pair with Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
It’s easy to make a dish like this one in a 1 dish casserole. Here are some of my favorite things to pair with this dish:
- An easy Dinner Side Salad This is a great recipe to make your own using 7 simple steps.
- Grain Free Biscuits Add a little bit of honey on top for a bit of sweetness
- A simple Pureed Vegetable Soup Loaded with flavor, this soup would be a perfect side dish to this chicken dish
- Apple Pie Parfaits Or maybe skip the side dish all together and add this delightful parfait.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs are moist, succulent & delicious beyond words. This Oven Baked Chicken with San Marzano tomatoes is the BEST!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 tablespoons
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 1 can – 28-ounces whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/4 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 1/2 pounds pasture-raised skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano or basil, chopped
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high; add the onions, carrots and garlic, season with salt and saute until vegetables are soft, about 7 or 8 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and wine and season with a bit more salt. Bring liquid to a boil and then lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set the sauce aside to cool.
- Once the sauce is at room temperature, add the chicken thighs. Cover and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer the sauce and chicken to a large baking dish and season with a bit more salt. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove chicken from oven, sprinkle the oregano or basil on top and add a few pinches of crushed red pepper. Serve warm.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes:
I will be honest, chicken is not exciting. So, you can guarantee yourself that when we do use chicken breasts or chicken thighs in recipes, they are going to be delicious. Otherwise, we’d rather make a delicious fish or shrimp recipe instead.
- We love Kabobs and this Chicken Teriyaki Kabob Recipe using our homemade Teriyaki Sauce is to die for.
- BEST Oven Fried Chicken Recipe: If you love Chickfila chicken, then you must try this recipe. We use one of their secrets to make this delicious dish.
- White Chicken Chili Recipe
Want More Healthy Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Oven Baked Chicken recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.