I first learned about the Sweet Potato Toast trend flipping through the pages of Dr. Oz The Good Life magazine at the dentist office. I was so excited to go home and pop raw sweet potato slices in the toaster oven, which is exactly what I did.
But it didn’t work.
I was super disappointed that not only did my raw sweet potato slices not get toasty, they also dripped a gooey mess that oozed out of the bottom of my toaster. I almost gave up on the whole idea of sweet potato toast right then and there. However, my son really wanted the toast idea to work and suggested I try toasting the raw sweet potato slices in the oven….
Making Sweet Potato Toast in the Oven is the Way to Go
Not only does oven-toasted sweet potato toast taste better than its toaster-oven counterpart, it’s much easier to make if you are serving more than one person (which I almost always am!) Unlike regular toast made from bread, sweet potato toast is much lighter, which means you need to make a lot of it to fill people up. It would be a huge hassle to have to keep toasting each slice in the toaster oven.
When it comes to making “toast” out of sweet potatoes, the real oven is definitely the way to go.
Sweet Potato Toast Toppings
Once you have your sweet potato slices toasted you can start the fun part: the toppings! You can find lots of creative toppings online. I personally like to do a combo of sweet and savory. Here are my 7 favorites below…
- Mashed Avocado with Sriracha Sauce and Finely Chopped Cilantro
- Smoked Salmon or Sardines with Parsley and Lemon Zest (Bella brand Portugal Sardines are the absolute best-tasting sardines!)
- Soft Nut-Cheese Spread with Cinnamon and Raisins (the best nut cheese brands are Kite Hill and Dr. Cow)
- Tabouleh (if you are following an anti-inflammatory diet, be sure to look for a brand made with extra virgin olive oil OR make your own.)
- Garlicky Sauteed Spinach with Crumbled Pine Nuts
- Mashed Black Beans with Avocado Slices
- Almond Butter with Thin Slices of Apple
Perfect for a party or even an after-school snack, nutritious sweet potato toast is super easy to make and can be topped with just about anything.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil OR unrefined avocado oil
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut the sweet potato in half horizontally and then slice each half lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Brush both sides of the sweet potato pieces with oil and season with salt to taste.
- Position the sweet potato pieces in a single layer on a wire baking rack placed over a cookie tray (to catch the drippings.) Bake 40 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potato toasts from the oven and transfer to a serving platter to cool. Toppings can be applied once they are cool.
- Category: appetizer
- Cuisine: clean eating
P.S. Are You Looking to Start a Clean Eating and Anti-Inflammatory Diet?
If so, be sure to check out our FREE Kitchen Shape Up!