The inspiration for my gluten free hasselback sweet potato casserole recipe came from Southern Living magazine. It was such a hit over here that that my 17-year old son polished the ENTIRE thing off as his after-dinner snack last night. So much for leftovers lol.
I am making it again for Thanksgiving later this week though because 1) the holidays simply would not be the holidays without sweet potato casserole and 2) it was most definitely tasty enough to warrant a spot at our Thanksgiving dinner table.
But you don’t need marshmallows, butter, cream, refined sugar or any other not-so-clean ingredient to make this southern-inspired casserole recipe. And believe it or not, thanks to two secret ingredients, this is still one very decadent Thanksgiving side dish!
How to Make a Dairy-Free/ Gluten-Free Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Cassava flour and my Clean Cuisine dairy free Sour Cream recipe are the two secret ingredients that enable me to make this hasselback sweet potato casserole recipe dairy-free and gluten free without sacrificing flavor, texture or anything else!
Secret Ingredient #1: Cassava Flour
If you have not yet heard of cassava flour, this gluten-free/ grain-free root vegetable flour will change your life in the kitchen. At least it will if you are gluten free! I talk more about it in my blog post on the 10 new products to add to your clean eating grocery list HERE.
What if you are not gluten free and don’t want to buy yet another flour?
No worries! If you are not gluten free you can substitute sprouted spelt flour or even white whole wheat flour for the cassava flour.
Secret Ingredient #2: Dairy Free Sour Cream Recipe
I realize the idea of making your own sour cream might seem a bit over the top, but believe it or not my dairy free sour cream recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make. It simply involves whirling together 5 ingredients (plus water!) in a high speed blender. It’s the easiest thing on earth to make and you can use it in any recipe that calls for sour cream.
Ok, let’s make some sweet potato casserole! One thing I promise, nobody will leave the table feeling deprived or disappointed with this one…Print
You don’t need marshmallows, butter, cream, refined sugar or any other not-so-clean ingredient to make this CLEAN southern-inspired gluten-free hasselback sweet potato casserole recipe.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices (see notes))
- 1 cup “Clean Cuisine” dairy free sour cream recipe
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (divided)
- 1/3 cup cassava flour (or sprouted spelt flour if not gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil (softened)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped raw pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch casserole dish. Arrange sweet potato slices, standing vertically on edges, in the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Clean Cuisine sour cream, 1/4 cup water, pepper, 3/4 teaspoon salt, cinnamon and half of the sugar. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Stir together the flour, remaining sugar, oil and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in the chopped pecans. Set pecan mixture aside.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Uncover and top evenly with pecan mixture. Return to oven and bake 15 more minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil and broil until topping is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Using a mandoline makes slicing the sweet potatoes super easy!