This Veggie Corn Chowder is an easy and delicious way to add more vegetables into your family’s meals! We get that eating clean can call for extra time in the kitchen, that often, we simply don’t have to give. This is exactly why we enjoy quick and easy, nutrient-dense recipes like this one!
This chowder is full of plants that are packed with phytonutrients, and requires only a few minutes of hands-on time. This simple Veggie Corn Chowder might just become a part of your weekly meal rotation!
Veggie Corn Chowder
While your average corn chowder may not seem terrible for you, you can bet it is most likely full of tons of cream (click here for why we avoid dairy), and an excess of sodium that will leave you feeling bloated, and heavy. Thankfully, these ingredients are incredibly easy to replicate with healthy alternatives. These alternatives are sure to taste incredibly similar, if not identical to the real thing!
Just like my Hidden Vegetable Sauce, this chowder works in a surprising number of different (undetectable) vegetables. Five to be exact. It’s also dairy free. And it tastes almost exactly like a classic corn chowder, which even the pickiest kids seem to almost always love! This Veggie Corn Chowder is seriously the best!
One of the five vegetables in the Vegetable Chowder recipe is corn. Actually, if you want to get technical, then speaking from a botanical point of view, corn is classified as a grain. However, most people consider corn a starchy vegetable (in the same family as say peas, sweet potatoes, etc.), which is how I classify it. Regardless of whether you consider corn a vegetable or grain, this is one food you want to be sure to buy organic.
Corn is considered at high risk of being a Genetically Modified food. GMO foods cause a number of environmental harms, but they can also cause health problems too. One of the main health concerns associated with GMO foods is the fact they are grown with toxic chemicals. The resulting pesticide residues are harmful to human health.
The best way to avoid GMO corn (and all other GMO foods, for that matter), is to buy certified organic. You can also look for the non-GMO project verified stamp of approval.
So while corn is not something we think most people should avoid, being aware of it’s sourcing is incredibly important for the environment, and your health alike.
Ready for this Veggie-Packed Chowder Recipe? Keep reading for all of the details!Print
Dairy Free Vegetable Chowder Recipe
This Veggie Corn Chowder is an easy and delicious way to add more vegetables into your family’s meals! This simple Veggie Corn Chowder might just become a part of your weekly meal rotation!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups organic vegetable OR chicken broth or stock, use vegetable broth for vegan or vegetarian
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or unrefined macadamia nut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 leek stalk, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 cups organic frozen corn
- Unrefined Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Add the broth and cashews to a high-speed blender, and process until smooth and creamy. Set cashew broth aside.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour. Continue whisking until the mixture darkens but does not burn, about 4 minutes (this is called making a roux.)
- Add the onion, carrots, leeks, and celery and stir occasionally until the vegetables begin to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the corn and thyme and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until corn is completely thawed.
- Pour in the reserved cashew broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Use a handheld stick blender to puree. Note: the chowder will have a somewhat chunky consistency. Serve warm.
Keywords: Veggie Corn Chowder
LOOKING FOR MORE CLEAN EATING DINNER RECIPES?
If you liked the Vegetable Chowder Recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.