For years I have found myself falling back on my Thai Salad with Tahini Vinaigrette over and over again. It never lets me down and it always looks beautiful on the table. Serving beautiful food is not always my biggest concern if it is just for my family, but when I am entertaining I always want to make sure the food is looking good!
I also love that this recipe can serve as the perfect side salad to a larger meal or the canvas for a lighter dinner seafood entrée. If we are grilling outdoors and entertaining guests with a light supper I like to nestle a few grilled shrimp or a nice piece of wild salmon on top of the salad. Serving it with a nice chilled glass of Sterling Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc (an excellent value at about $15 a bottle) adds the final touch.
One of the Secrets to Making the Perfect Salad
Oh! And one important note before you begin making the salad: be sure not to ignore the directions to pat the vegetables you will use in the salad as dry as possible. Using very dry lettuce and vegetables is one of the biggest secrets to making the perfect salad!
- 1 head Boston lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (15-ounces) whole baby corn, drained, chopped, and patted dry
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and patted dry
- 1 can (8-ounces) chopped water chestnuts, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- In a large serving bowl, add the lettuce, mint, cilantro, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, corn, oranges and water chestnuts (Note: be sure all salad ingredients are very dry.)
- Gently toss all ingredients.
- Pour the Tahini Vinaigrette (see recipe below) on top of the salad and gently toss. Sprinkle the peanuts on top of the salad just before serving.
Ingredients for the Tahini Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup unrefined toasted sesame oil, such as Organic Unrefined Sesame Oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Directions for the Tahini Vinaigrette
1. Place all of the ingredients for the tahini vinaigrette in a small mixing bowl and whisk well with a fork.
2. Pour the vinaigrette over the Thai Salad, toss well and then let sit for about 10 minutes at room temperature for the flavors to develop. Serve at room temperature or outside.