Gluten Free Donut Recipe – This strawberry decadent gluten free donut recipe is dedicated to our little gluten free kids. Well, not so little anymore, but you get the idea. About 3 years ago, they decided to go gluten free and have been very patient with me to develop this recipe.
Well, with a little more motivational wishes from our kids a few weeks ago, I finally conquered this recipe.
Gluten free donuts are truly a ‘hole’ lot easier to make than you might think, Sorry, but I just couldn’t resist the pun!
But seriously, is there anyone on this planet who would not love to eat donuts for a special breakfast treat? This is one of those classic make-ahead breakfasts that you can make on the weekend and dole on on Monday morning with a side of scrambled eggs and homemade smoothie.
Gluten Free Donut Recipe — Perfectly Delicious Whether You’re Gluten Free or Not!
When I was 31 I finally caved to my autoimmune disease, Hashimoto’s and opted for anti-inflammatory diet. I got rid of gluten, dairy (lactose-based), added sugar juices and all the foods that came with this. It would take a few more years to make the coconut sugar swap for refined white sugar.
A few years ago, our kids decided they too wanted to be gluten free since Abigail was having gut and skin issues and Jack was eager to be like us. So, the kids committed to opting out of the birthday cupcakes brought to school by friends, McDonald’s Happy Meals (that I allowed them to get about once per month). They also gave up the box of Dunkin’ Donut donut holes that became a classic purchase on road trips a few times a year.
Since then, they have asked several times for me to make a gluten free donut recipe. They didn’t even care what flavor.
And since Jack and Abigail love strawberry and they are back in season – I thought why not give it a try.
How to Make a Healthy Gluten Free Donut Recipe
Here’s a few main ingredients that I won’t make this gluten free donut recipe without:
#1: Whole Grain Gluten Free Flour is the Perfect Companion!
Sure, we can use gluten free flour, but the kind does matter. When I first started baking with gluten free flour, I made my own mixture. It was a mess. The recipe called for several ingredients and if any of them were out of date, they didn’t work the same. It took a lot of effort.
Enter – King Arthur Gluten Free Flour made with Brown Rice Flour!
This is now my go-to flour. You can pick it up at most grocery stores now – like Publix and even Target. Plus, of course you can grab some on Amazon.
#2: Sweet Your Donuts with Coconut Sugar and Pure Maple Syrup
This delicious gluten free donut recipe is not only dairy free but also sweetened naturally. I use a blend of coconut sugar and pure maple syrup to get the sweetness just right. By the way, did you know maple syrup is not an empty calorie sweetener? An analysis of pure maple syrup reported in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The study shows that this delicious natural sweetener also contains phytonutrients including lignans, coumarins, and other health-promoting antioxidants.
#3: Use Strawberry Puree or No Sugar Added Strawberry Jam
Why O’ why must jam always be filled with refined white sugar. For this recipe, you can either use fresh strawberries puree or make a homemade Strawberry Sauce. You certainly can look for a brand of jam that doesn’t use refined sugar as a sweetener, but by the time you do, it’s quite costly.
Do you Prefer Donut Holes?
If you are more of a donut hole kind of person, you can easily make this gluten free donut recipe into cute little strawberry donut holes. You may not be able to frost and top them with coconut, but you can certainly try.
Bake Your Donuts!
These donut pans make it easy to bake donuts versus fry donuts. And if you’re a clean, healthy family like we are then you will definitely appreciate having these pans handy when you’re craving donuts.
Check out this Donut Pan to make the perfect sized baked donuts every single time.
The best donut hole pan. Using the small scoop and slightly overfilling the holes makes perfect donut holes every time.
Is it a Gluten Free Donut Recipe or Doughnut Recipe?
By the way, if you are wondering if I misspelled donut, here is a fun little news clip that helps clear things up: Click HERE to read more.
Add Lots of Toppings to this Strawberry Gluten Free Donut Recipe
This recipe is so versatile and there’s plenty of ways you can mix it up. If you would rather make Cherry Donuts — then use Cherry Jam (without refined sugar) and look for fresh cherries to top them with.
The Cream Cheese frosting is made with coconut-based cream cheese and can be typically found in the grocery store with vegan cheese options. We love Kite Hill and Miyoko’s.
Just have fun. If nothing else, your family is going to love them and you can add them to your weekly breakfast menu line-up.Print
Baked Gluten Free Donuts
Gluten Free Donut Recipe – Strawberry Edition. Decadent strawberry gluten free donut, coconut, cream cheese frosting and strawberry glaze.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12–16 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 cup nut or hemp milk, try Almond Milk or Hemp Milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed, ground
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 organic eggs, such as Vital Farms
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 cup strawberry puree or pure strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, see notes below
- 1/4 cup coconut-based cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup strawberry puree or pure strawberry jelly
- 1–2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
OPTIONAL: 1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Oil the doughnut pans with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, add the 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and fill to 1 cup with nut or hemp milk. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, ground flaxseed, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Using a whisk, stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the vanilla, maple syrup, eggs and coconut oil. With a hand mixer, mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- Alternating, add 1/2 of the milk mixture to the large bowl. Using the hand mixer to combine on medium speed. Then add 1/2 of the egg mixture. Mix again on medium speed. Then, add the rest of the milk mixture, mix again – and the rest of the egg mixture, mix again. (Alternating mixing creates a smooth and creamy buttermilk dough that is perfect for this gluten free donut recipe.)
- Fold in the 1 cup of strawberry pure (or use a no-added sugar strawberry jam).
- To a large decorating bag or 1 gallon plastic bag (cut a small piece the size of your thumb off the corner when filled), add all of the donut dough to the bag and begin piping into the donut pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove donuts from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, frost the gluten free donuts with the cream cheese frosting (see below), then push the donut gently into a bowl of unsweetened shredded coconut. Gently spoon the strawberry glaze and then top with the diced strawberries.
OPTIONAL: GLUTEN FREE DONUT RECIPE FROSTING
- In a high speed blender, add the 1/2 cup of coconut sugar and pulse for 10-15 seconds. Be careful to not breath in the sugar when you remove the lid. Set aside.
- To a small mixing bowl, add the room temperature cream cheese and vanilla and blend together using a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes, or until well creamed.
- Add the coconut sugar and mix until well combined.
OPTIONAL: STRAWBERRY GLAZE FOR THE GLUTEN FREE DONUT RECIPE
- In a small bowl, add the strawberry puree or jam along with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. If not thin enough to spread, add another 1/2-1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
Keywords: Gluten Free Donut Recipe
More Gluten Free Donut Recipes:
If you love these donuts, you’re definitely going to love these Chocolate Donut Holes with Chocolate Ganache (can be made as donuts just as easily!). Or, check out these grain free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts.