If you’ve never tried Celery Root Soup, or celery root in general, there’s no better time than now! This hearty soup has all the creamy, starchy components of a comfort food, without all the bloating and digestive upset that often follows.
This soup was created with digestion in mind. Created not only for flavor, this Celery Root Soup was made with the intention of you finishing your meal feeling great! Because of this, the ingredients in this recipe are all grain, gluten, and dairy free, and modifiable for a vegan diet!
Quick Healthy Recipe
For me, there’s nothing better than cutting down on my cooking time, and enjoying quick healthy recipe all week long. This Celery Root Soup is among my top few favorites, for many reasons! Not only is it easy to throw together, but the flavor is unmatched!
One of the biggest complaints I hear about eating clean is all of the meal prep and time in the kitchen that is required. And it’s true! Eating healthy requires a lot more time than frozen meals and take out. However, it’s completely doable with the right methods!
One thing that has majorly cut down on my kitchen time is cooking in large batches. I always try to keep at least one soup in the fridge at all times to enjoy throughout the week. It really makes a huge difference! Having a meal ready to heat up not only saves time, but keeps you from veering to unhealthy choices when you’re hungry.
I love how easy it is to throw everything into a pot, and know that you’re making a nutrient-dense, well rounded meal to enjoy for days!
Looking for more ways to clean up your diet? We believe that the Healthiest Food Starts with Healthy Cookware! Click here to learn more!
Celery Root Soup
I have to be honest and say that prior to a few months ago, I had no idea what celery root, or celeriac even was. It actually all began when I found myself in a rut with my diet. I hit a plateau where I was not only bored of the foods I had been eating. I really felt like I had no creativity to create any more recipes with the foods that were safe for me.
This is when I began branching out. There are quite literally thousands of food sources in nature that often go overlooked. I decided I was going to find them!
So while celeriac actually isn’t too uncommon, I discovered much more along the way. From cricket flour, to lotus seeds (very common in Indian culture), to cauliflower and pumpkin flours, among much more, I realized I was missing out on so much!
With all of these new ingredients to experiment with, I was so excited to get back into the kitchen, and start cooking again! That’s when I began experimenting with this Celery Root Soup.
Celeriac is simply celery root! It has a subtle flavor of celery, but the texture of a white potato. It’s amazing for taking the place of potatoes in recipes, even working great when mashed as a mashed potato substitute.
Leeks are another vegetable I hadn’t commonly used prior to this recipe. They’re very similar to green onions in taste, but become tender, and offer a mild sweet flavor when cooked.
The cauliflower in this recipe is really what sets it apart as a stew, instead of a soup. But blending the cauliflower with the chicken broth, you’re left with a creamy base, without any dairy!
Love the creaminess of cauliflower as much as we do? Try some of our recipes with cauliflower by clicking here!
While this stew is delicious meat-free, if you’re looking for a bulkier version, ground turkey is the perfect addition!
Want to learn how to pick healthy meat? Click here!
If you’ve never tried celeriac and/or leeks before, this Celery Root Soup is a great place start! With only 30 minutes of hands-on time, you can enjoy this warm, hearty soup all week long!
Celery Root Soup
This delicious stew can be ready in as soon as 1 hour, or prepared in the slow cooker.
- Prep Time: 30 min.
- Cook Time: 30 min.
- Total Time: 1 hr.
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- 64 oz. chicken stock (can substitute for a plant-based broth)
- 1 medium-sized leek
- 1 large celeriac
- 20 oz, or a little over 5 cups frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Himalayan pink salt to taste, (my broth was unsalted, and I used 1 tbsp)
- Optional: 1 pound ground turkey
- Begin by placing your broth in a stew pot, and heating on medium/high.
- While waiting for the broth to boil, peel the celeriac by cutting off the stem, and removing the skin. Dice into small cubes. Set aside.
- Next, clean and cut the leeks into small slivers. Set aside.
- Once boiling, add the celeriac to the broth, and add salt. Allow to boil for around 15 minutes, or until celeriac is tender. Once tender, remove from heat.
- In the meantime, add a small amount of avocado oil to the bottom of a skillet, and begin sauteing leeks on a medium heat. Saute until beginning to brown, and then add in garlic, and saute until garlic is beginning to brown. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, begin cooking ground turkey. Cook until thoroughly finished, and slightly crisped. Set aside.
- Steam the cauliflower until tender (on the stove, or in the microwave). Set aside.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove celeriac from the broth, and set aside.
- In a large, heat resistant blender, combine broth and cauliflower, and blend until smooth. Add back into stew pot, and turn to a medium heat.
- Add celeriac, leek, and ground turkey into the broth, and allow to simmer until desired temperature has been reached.
- Remove from heat, and enjoy warm!
Keywords: Celery Root Soup