Kid-tested and mom approved, these blueberry flourless pancakes look every bit as good as they taste and they are super healthy to boot!
I’ve played around with several recipes for flourless pancakes and these are the ones I come back to making time and time again. I will say though that the skillet you use makes a big difference in the success of your pancakes. Whatever you do, please do NOT use a non-stick skillet for cooking pancakes or anything else; they are just not safe (plus they make the food taste terrible). I’ve found the very best and greenest cookware on the market to be Xtrema Cookware. Their non-toxic ceramic cookware line is beautiful and their 10- inch skillet is the perfect pancake skillet.
One more super important tip in making the best-tasting and “cleanest” pancakes is to use a high quality organic extra virgin coconut oil (I prefer Barlean’s brand.) Like butter, coconut oil can withstand super high heat temperatures, which is very important in preventing your pancakes from burning.
P.S. If you love blueberry recipes for breakfast be sure to check out this recipe for the best blueberry muffins!Print
- 1 ripe banana, cut into chunks
- 2 organic, pastured eggs (I like Vital Farms brand)
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons raw, unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt
- Organic extra virgin coconut oil, such as Barlean’s (for cooking)
- ¾ cup fresh organic blueberries
- In a high speed blender (such as Vitamix) add the banana, eggs, oats, wheat germ, coconut, lemon extract and pinch of salt; process until smooth and creamy.
- Lightly oil the bottom of a large skillet with coconut oil and heat over medium. Pour ¼ cup batter onto the hot oiled skillet. Gently press the blueberries into the raw batter one a time, taking care to evenly distribute them. Cook pancake for about 2-3 minutes and then flip carefully and cook on the other side until lightly browned. Repeat with the remaining batter, lightly oiling the skillet each time. Serve warm.