- Dairy Free. I did include a wee bitty bit of chocolate chips in the recipe, but thanks to dairy-free Enjoy Life brand I was still able to keep the recipe dairy free.
- No Refined Oil. I use organic, extra-virgin coconut oil for the biscotti cookies, which works beautifully. However, in order to ensure you are getting both the highest quality and most nutrient-dense coconut oil as well as one that won’t leave behind a “coconut-y” flavor, be sure to look for extra-virgin on the label.
- No Refined Sugar. You can use either coconut palm sugar or date sugar for this recipe. Both are unrefined sweeteners and, unlike regular sugar, they are not totally devoid of nutrients either. And they both sweeten like a dream!
Baking Biscotti Cookies…One thing you should know before you get baking is that the word biscotti originates from the medieval Latin word biscoctus, meaning “twice-cooked.” So yes, you will need to bake your biscotti cookies twice. For the first baking go-round, you will be baking what looks like a log (see photo below) for about 25 minutes… Once you bake the log-like loaf, you will remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for about 15 minutes. You will then use a serrated knife (it is very important not to use a smooth-edged knife) to cut the loaf on the diagonal (see photo below). For the second and final baking go round, you will simply transfer the sliced biscotti cookies back into the oven and bake for about 5 minutes. That’s it. And voila!! Perfect Italian Biscotti Cookies!!
Pin this graphic for later!
Almond Biscotti Cookies with Blueberries and Chocolate
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 organic (pasture-raised eggs)
- 1/2 cup organic (extra-virgin coconut oil)
- 2 pitted medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups 1-for-1 gluten free flour (like this one from King Arthur)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons date sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup dried wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a high-speed blender, like our favorite one from Ninja, add the eggs, coconut oil, dates and vanilla extract; process on high speed until ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Transfer the liquid mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set liquid mixture aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Working in batches, add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture until the mixture forms a dough. Stir in the blueberries, almonds and chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and kneed several times. Shape into a log approximately 10-inches long. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- With a serrated knife, cut the log across at a diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange on the baking sheet, cut side down, and bake for another 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Keep the biscotti stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week.