Recipe for Tater Tots – Tater tots bring me right back to my childhood. Of course back then, they were either from a fast food restaurant, or straight from a processed, frozen bag from the grocery store. Not exactly what I would consider healthy nowadays.
But truth-be-told, tater tots in and of themselves are not unhealthy at all! It’s all in the preparation. My Recipe for Tater Tots uses sweet potatoes (making them AIP), and are fried in the air fryer. This makes them a gut-friendly, delicious rendition. Ready to learn more? Keep reading!
Recipe for Tater Tots
This Recipe for Tater Tots is one the whole family will enjoy together. Believe me, the kids won’t even know they’re healthy! Like I mentioned above, this Recipe for Tater Tots stands out from the rest, because it’s not at all a junk food…it’s actually incredibly healthy for you! But to understand why my recipe is healthy for you, it’s first important to understand why conventional recipes are unhealthy.
Why are Conventional Tater Tots Unhealthy?
Contrary to popular belief, it’s not because conventional recipes use white potatoes. White potatoes aren’t at all bad for you, and the only reason I opted for sweet potatoes in this recipe instead is due to preference, and the fact that I have a nightshade intolerance (white potatoes are in the Solanaceae family). I also love that sweet potatoes, being easier to absorb and digest for many of us with autoimmune diseases. They also work for those on the Autoimmune Paleo Protocol! The more people who can enjoy my recipes, the merrier!
Conventional tater tots and fries are unhealthy simply because of the unnecessary and often inflammatory ingredients added to the recipe. A tater tot really only needs 3 ingredients: potatoes, a healthy oil, and spices. Flour is optional as a fourth ingredient, and can easily be gluten or grain-free.
Unfortunately, most companies mass producing tater tots include numerous unnecessary and inflammatory ingredients. These ingredients, for the most part, do nothing but reduce the healthfulness of a product. For instance, Ore-Ida (a popular potato product brand sold in most grocery stores) includes sodium acid pyrophosphate (a not-so-natural leavening agent we prefer to avoid), and “natural flavoring”, and is deep fried in vegetable oil.
Similar to my recipe, simply mash up a potato from home, mix with spices, add additional veggies or gluten free flour if desired, brush in a healthy oil, and stick in the air fryer or oven, and you’ve got a perfectly healthy and delicious side dish!
Recipes to Serve with Tater Tots
Looking for some healthy dishes to serve alongside your clean Recipe for Tater Tots? We’ve got you covered! Try…
Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe: Healthy Turkey Burgers Recipe made with minced shiitake mushrooms is tastier and considerably more moist than a plain turkey burger.
Recipe for Chicken Nuggets: Recipe for Chicken Nuggets are delicious enough that the whole family will love them. Plus, our recipe for chicken nuggets is gluten free!
Healthy Turkey Meatloaf: Deliciously Moist Healthy Turkey Meatloaf has lots of hidden sauteed mixed vegetables and “Meaty” Mushrooms. A family favorite.
Ready for the full recipe? Let’s get into it!Print
Recipe for Tater Tots
My Recipe for Tater Tots uses sweet potatoes (making them AIP), and are fried in the air fryer for a gut-friendly, delicious rendition.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Begin by steaming sweet potatoes, and placing in an ice bath to chill until cool enough to handle. *While sweet potatoes are chilling, this is a great time to begin preheating your air fryer to 450ºF.
- Once sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove skin, and place in a medium-sized bowl. (Discard skins, or save for use in another recipe).
- Use a paper towel to pat excess water from sweet potato flesh, and mash until smooth and creamy.
- Measure 2 cups of sweet mashed potatoes, and store any remaining potato mash to enjoy later.
- Add in garlic and onion powder, salt, and cassava flour, and mix until smooth.
- Grease air fryer tray with a layer of avocado oil, and set to the side to place tots on.
- Using your hands, grab a small pinch of the sweet potato mixture, and form into a tater tot shape, rolling and pressing as needed. Place on air fryer tray.
- Repeat this process until mixture has been fully used.
- Use a silicone basting brush to lightly coat tots with a thin layer of avocado oil.
- Place in air fryer and allow to fry for 12-15 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Remove from air fryer, and serve warm. Enjoy!
Keywords: Recipe for Tater Tots