Patty Pan Squash Recipe – Perfect for fall, this Patty Pan Squash Recipe is the new vegetable side dish that is begging to be on your menu. Simple to cook and quick to make, it will be ready when you main dish is done for dinner.
What is a Patty Pan Squash?
Patty Pan squash is very recognizable because it looks like a UFO-shaped flat discoid. Commonly called a scallop squash, it is a summer variety originating from Mexico. Generally picked small, this young and immature squash is tender and sweeter in comparison to the classic yellow squash.
Patty Pan squash comes in several varieties ranging from white, yellow, and deep greens. It is best to select smaller, tender squash for cooking. If left on the vine too long, the squash does enlarge — but the outside becomes too tough and the seeds are no longer easy to eat.
For this recipe, I found some beautiful yellow and green patty pan squash from a local farmer. I grabbed up several and began working on an easy patty pan squash recipe to share with you here.
A Fall Vegetable Side Dish – Patty Pan Squash Recipe
One of the best ways to increase your vegetable intake is to make at least 2 vegetable side dishes for dinner. We like to mix things up by having a sauteed vegetable dish paired with a steamed, roasted or a big bowl of vegetable soup. One of my favorites to make on the weekends and server with dinners is this Puree Vegetable Soup. Loaded with flavor and easy to warm up.
Getting more vegetables on your plate is going to improve your overall health and for those at your table. Make every effort to eat healthy and the best way to do this is grab all the random vegetables at the grocer or farmer’s market and figure out what to make with them.
Next on my list is Delicata Squash — and I have an amazing recipe with only 4 ingredients, including fresh rosemary from my garden.
How to Make a Patty Pan Squash Recipe
You can easily make this recipe in under 20 minutes. All you need is the squash sliced up, some high quality organic olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, Spanish onion and a little bit of fresh garlic.
Considering how easy it is to make, it’s quite elegant and inviting. Plus, the taste is absolutely incredible. From now on – let’s just make delicate squash recipes that taste good?!
There’s only a few steps to making this amazing squash recipe…
4 Simple Steps to Make this Patty Pan Squash Recipe:
Using a large mixing bowl, add the sliced patty pan squash and onion. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the sea salt and pepper. Toss gently until everything is well coated.
Next, you’re going to heat up a 12″ ceramic skillet, we love Xtrema 100% Ceramic cookware and gently saute the squash mixture for 4-5 minutes until the squash begins to cook.
Then, add the garlic – this is the BEST tool to mince garlic and the clean up is a piece of cake! Once you add the garlic, you will only need to cook for another 2-3 minutes until the patty pan squash can be pierced easily with a fork. (I always test one out before turning off the heat!)
Finally, you’re done!! Just add the patty pan squash recipe to a serving dish and garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Serve warm.
More Vegan/Vegetarian Side Dishes
As I mentioned above, we just love to add side dishes to main dinners whenever we can. The best way to do that is through sauteed, roasted or cooked vegetables with just a few ingredients.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Simple Stir Fried Radishes
- Stuffed Tomatoes
- Garlicky Green Beans
Patty Pan Squash Recipe
Perfect for fall, this Patty Pan Squash Recipe is the new vegetable side dish that is begging to be on your menu. Savory, easy and delicious.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2–3 patty pan squash, sliced
- 1/3 cup Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (omit for AIP)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Garnish: Fresh parsley, chopped
- Garish: Vegan Parmesan cheese or high quality organic Parmesan cheese
- To a large mixing bowl, add the sliced patty pan squash and onion. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the sea salt and pepper. Toss gently until everything is well coated.
- In a 12″ ceramic skillet, we love Xtrema 100% Ceramic cookware, over medium heat, add the patty pan squash mixture and saute for 4-5 minutes until the squash begins to cook. You’ll notice thinner parts of the squash becoming translucent.
- To the skillet, add the minced garlic and stir until well combined. Cooking for another 2-3 minutes until the patty pan squash can be pierced easily with a fork. (I always test one out before turning off the heat!)
- Add the patty pan squash recipe to a serving dish and garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Serve warm.
Keywords: Patty Pan Squash Recipe