Molasses Cookies Recipe – If you’re looking for the perfect fall cookie, then this delicious Molasses Cookies recipe is it. Just like the traditional recipe, our healthy version still maintains a soft and chewy center with lightly crisp edges.
Each cookie is perfectly spiced and made in a single bowl. So clean up is a breeze.
The difference is that our version is much healthier. We swap out the refined flour for whole grain flour and use coconut sugar instead of brown sugar. To be honest, they not only taste better but you can eat more of them without the guilt! 😉
Make this Molasses Cookies Recipe in Under 1 Hour
This molasses cookies recipe is so quick and easy that you can have fresh-baked cookies ready in under 1 hour. Plus, it only needs 1 bowl for the entire recipe. Last week, I made these with my daughter Abigail and we had so much fun rolling the balls and topping them with sugar.
One of my favorite things about this molasses cookies recipe is that each cookie is perfectly spiced. The blend of ginger, molasses, cinnamon and cloves makes every single bite begging for the next. Plus, they stay soft inside for days… that is, if you can keep them around that long.
How to Make the Best Molasses Cookies Recipe
The best part about this recipe, is that you only need 1 bowl and a few measuring cups and spoons. This makes clean up a breeze.
Make the Cookie Dough:
In a single bowl, you’re going to combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and use a hand mixer until well combined. This brings the sugar together with the wet ingredients to create a perfect base. Next, you’re going to add in the remaining 6 ingredients. This is typically when I switch to using a wooden spoon, but you’re welcome to use your hand mixer on low until well combined.
If your dough seems to dry, consider using your hands to combine the dough. Within 1-2 minutes you’ll have success.
Scoop and Roll the Cookie Dough:
Unless it’s summer time and your coconut oil is liquid, you can go right to scooping and rolling the cookie dough. However, if you have very soft coconut oil, I would suggest popping the dough in the fridge for about 1-2 hours.
When ready to make your cookies, use a 2 tablespoon medium scoop, like this one. Using a cookie scoop makes the work quick and the cookie dough uniform. As we all know, uniform cookie dough means they will all cook the same.
When all of your cookie dough is in balls, just roll each ball in your hands and then dip the top into the remaining coconut sugar.
It’s Time to Bake:
Pre-heat the oven so it’s ready to bake your cookies when you’re ready. They only need about 13 minutes to bake. Do not overbake them! Since the molasses in these cookies make the cookie dark, it’s not as easy to tell when they are done. If you push your finger down on the cookie, it will gently bounce back.
Molasses Cookies Recipe Ingredients
Here at Clean Cuisine, we are always making basic ingredient swaps to clean up a recipe. A classic Molasses Cookies recipe is typically loaded with brown sugar, butter and wheat flour. Even with all of the swaps, these molasses cookies are absolutely delicious.
- Gluten Free Flour: I swapped out the traditional wheat flour with whole grain, gluten free flour made by King Arthur Flour. The flour is a cup-for-cup replacement for any of your other cookie recipes that call for flour.
- Coconut Oil: If you’ve not tried coconut oil before, I want to encourage you to pick up a small coconut oil from Barlean’s and experiment with it. I’m going to venture to say that coconut oil makes even better cookies than butter. Trust me, a few years ago I doubted this myself.
- Coconut Sugar: Staying with a coconut-based ingredient, I used coconut sugar to replace the brown sugar in a typically molasses cookies recipe. Coconut sugar has a deep and delicious flavor that adds the complexity that this cookie needs.
- Blend of Spices: As typically called for in this molasses cookie, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves makes the perfect spice blender. Each cookie is perfectly spiced without being over-powering.
Molasses Cookies Recipe
Molasses Cookies recipe has a soft and chewy center with lightly crisp edges. Each cookie is perfectly spiced and made in a single bowl.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of coconut sugar, the softened coconut oil, molasses and egg with a hand mixer on medium speed.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix on low with a hand mixer or with a wooden spoon until combined. If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to combine.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dough and place on a plate. Once all of the dough is measured, use your hands to roll into a ball.
- Place the additional 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar into a small bowl. Then, dip the top of each ball into the coconut sugar and place sugar-side up on the baking sheet about 2″ apart. Do not press down.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes. Removing from the cookie sheet and let them cool on a baking rack.
*Feel free to substitute the cinnamon, ginger and cloves for 2 1/2 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice!
Keywords: Molasses Cookies Recipe