If you are a coffee lover, then this Coffee Smoothie recipe is going to make you very, very happy. Oh, if you love whipped topping, I’m also including a quick dairy free recipe.
Inspiration for the Perfect Coffee Smoothie Recipe
I spent all of last week in ski country without a blender. It’s incredibly frustrating to travel for this one true fact: I love my blender. I can’t always take my blender with me, which means I miss out on my favorite morning green smoothie and making this delicious coffee smoothie recipe.
Watching countless skiers head from the slopes straight to Starbucks for a decadent whipped cream, sugary sweet coffee concoction. And sure, I wanted one too. I just didn’t want all of the pro-inflammatory dairy and sugar calories. Even after burning up all that energy on the slopes, I knew that the best way to refuel my body was not with spoonfuls of sugar or dairy-filled whipped cream.
Best Post-Workout Snack
Speaking of, if you’ve been enjoying winter sports and want to know how to best refuel your body after a day of activity, keep reading. If you just want that tasty Coffee Smoothie recipe, drop down to the end of this post!
Those of you that optimize recovery after a long day in the cold and sun benefit from restoring muscle tissue the quickest. Plus, you will reap the most benefit from your workouts. This is why it matter what to eat after a workout.
The best thing to eat after a workout is not protein. Visit my post here to learn what is best. There are so many delicious options and my post-work Fruit + Nut Butter Bowl is going to be the best thing for you.
Is Coffee Good For Me?
A Japanese study published in the Journal of Epidemiology is still one of my absolute favorite coffee tidbits. The study showed that coffee consumption was associated with a decreased risk of death from ALL causes.
The more research we have done, the more we were convinced that our daily coffee habit was far more helpful than it was harmful.
How to Make the Best + Healthiest Coffee Smoothie Recipe
One of the first things I did when I got back home from our ski week, was to get out my favorite blender. Then, I wanted to whip up a new coffee smoothie recipe. This time with dairy-free whipped cream on top.
Coffee Smoothie Recipe Morning Minute Saver Tip!
If you plan to make the coffee smoothie recipe for breakfast, my suggestion is to brew your coffee/ espresso the night before. As a side note, I prefer to use organic espresso or coffee. Not only is organic coffee a lot healthier for the environment, it’s also grown without using toxic pesticides that kill birds and harm workers. I think it tastes better too.
Homemade Dairy-Free Whipped Topping
My brand new, homemade dairy-free whipped topping for this coffee smoothie recipe is completely optional. Like the freshly fallen powdery snow we were lucky enough to have on the second day of our trip, the creamy, dreamy whipped cream topping is a perk.
It takes just a few minutes extra to whip up, and it is SO worth the effort. However, I realize there are days when every extra minute feels like a luxury. On rush-rush days you can skip the whipped cream.
The Perfect Grab + Go Breakfast
In fact, if you are a morning coffee drinker then this recipe is actually the perfect grab and go breakfast! For time-crunched mornings the coffee smoothie recipe combines your morning cup of coffee with a nourishing and healthy whole food breakfast in a delicious coffee smoothie recipe.
Coffee Smoothie Recipe
Nobody will ever guess this dreamy and decadent Coffee Smoothie Recipe is dairy free and made without refined sugar. So delicious!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 1x
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup very strong organic coffee or espresso
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups ice
- 1 tablespoon
- Place all ingredients except for the ice in a high speed blender and process until smoothie and creamy.
- Add the ice and process again. Drink at once. If you’re making the following dairy-free whipped cream, refrigerate your smoothie while you wait.
Last Step! If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
HOMEMADE DAIRY FREE WHIPPED TOPPING
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 5 hours
- Cinnamon, nutmeg or raw cacao powder for sprinkling
- Gingerly open the can of cold coconut milk, being careful not to tilt the can. Carefully scoop only the thick coconut cream into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Note: do not add the thin watery part of the coconut milk to your whipped cream recipe.
- Using a mixer or hand beaters on high speed – whip the coconut cream for 4 to 5 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light, with soft peaks. Carefully stir in the maple syrup.
- Remove your coffee smoothie recipe from the fridge, top with a few generous dollops of whipped cream. Dust with cinnamon, nutmeg or cacao powder. Drink at once.
- Best eaten immediately, however your leftovers will keep nicely in the fridge for 2 to 3 days if stored in a covered container.
P.S. Love coffee?
Be sure to check out one of my easy organic dairy-free vanilla iced latte recipe!
Sunday 24th of June 2018
I just made this and it was yummy! I did not have any prunes so I used dates instead. I also added vanilla to the coconut cream. Maybe next time I will throw in some cacao nibs. Thanks for the recipe, I can enjoy my coffee drink guilt free.
Monday 25th of June 2018
Hi Laura! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you liked it =)