I’ve been making a version of this clean chocolate popcorn recipe ever since my son, Blake, was in elementary school. It was our standby movie-night popcorn. He loved it so much I would even sneak it into the movie theater. And whenever his friends came over, this was the treat they ALL would ask for!
Feel Good “Junk Food”
Blake’s one friend Naaman practically ate the whole bucket of popcorn in one sitting the first time I made it for him. The boys were about six or seven years old at the time and I’ll never forget what Naaman said to Blake after polishing off a huge serving, “It’s funny how I can always eat so much of your mom’s junk food and never get sick like I do when I eat junk food at other places.” I still have to laugh at that one! Naaman is still one of Blake’s best friends and by now he knows I don’t exactly serve “real” junk food lol.
I’m not suggesting that anybody eat a whole bucket of this chocolate popcorn recipe (or any popcorn recipe for that matter!) However, if you are trying to eat clean and still craving junk food then this is definitely what to make. Unlike conventional chocolate covered popcorn , this one is dairy free and has no refined sugar.
And if you really want something to feel good about, it gets even better…
Chocolate Popcorn Recipe Sneaks in 2 Superfoods
- Cacao: One of nature’s most powerful superfoods, cacao delivers an abundance of antioxidants and nutrients that positively impact brain and cardiovascular health. What’s more, Cacao also enhances the effectiveness of other minerals and nutrients in the body.
- Acai: The endary dark purple Brazilian superfruit, acai is an incredible source of fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants and healthy omega fats. What’s more! Acai naturally has a chocolate berry flavor that not only compliments chocolate recipes, but actually enhances their chocolaty flavor.
For those of you with allergies or food sensitivities, it’s good to know this Chocolate Popcorn recipe meets the following dietary criteria:
Nut Free/ Vegan/ Vegetarian/ Egg Free/ Bean Free/ Dairy Free/ Gluten Free
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons acai powder, optional (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1. Add the popcorn to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, add the coconut milk and coconut oil and heat over low heat for about 1 minute, or until oil is melted. Slowly stir in the maple syrup, vanilla extract, cacao powder and acai powder. Use a whisk to mix ingredients thoroughly until smooth and lump-free. Stir in the salt.
3. Carefully pour the chocolate mixture over the popcorn, using a spoon to mix and toss the popcorn to evenly coat. Sprinkle with coconut palm sugar. Refrigerate to harden chocolate for about 15 minutes. Serve at once.
Both Raw Cacao Powder and Acai Powder are easy to find these days at just about any natural foods store or of course online. I like Navitas Organics brand for both.