It’s great to get kids (adults too!) to eat more vegetables, but if you have to add unhealthy ingredients such as cheese, cream or refined flour to your vegetable recipe then you kind of cancel out some of the health benefits. I wanted to make my cauliflower tot recipe as clean as possible, while still being tasty 😉
How to Make Cauliflower Tots
Making cauliflower tots is so easy… and they are so delicious that you may start to make these weekly. It’s a perfectly crispy side dish that gives you a big serving of whole vegetables.
Instead of the Parmesan cheese called for in a lot of the recipes I found online, I use savory pine nut crumbs. Pine nuts are not always easy to find. So, if you’re struggling, I recommend replacing the pine nuts for cashews in this recipe.
Gluten Free Cauliflower Tots
Don’t you worry, this recipe is tested and proven successful. I tested the recipe two times using two different breads. To make this recipe gluten free, I used Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain bread, which is one of my favorite nationally distributed brands.
Dip Your Cauliflower Tots
Although you can certainly eat the Cauliflower tots straight up, I always serve them with a dip of some sort. If I am short on time I just serve them with Dijon mustard or Tessie Mae’s Organic Ketchup (as far as I know, this is the only store-bought brand of ketchup sweetened with dates rather than sugar.)
Eat More Cauliflower!
And finally, if you are looking for additional creative cauliflower recipes here are a few my family loves:
- Chinese Style Cauliflower Stir Fry Rice
- Dairy Free Cauliflower Mushroom Risotto
- Riced Cauliflower Tabbouleh
- Dairy Free Coconut Curry Soup (with Hidden Cauliflower)
- Cheese-Free Cauliflower Pizza Crust Recipe
Cauliflower Tots are a delicious healthy alternative to tater tots. This recipe for dairy free and gluten free cauliflower tots is one the whole family will love!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 pieces gluten free whole grain bread, such as Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free 7 Grain Bread
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary OR 3 teaspoons dried
- 3 organic eggs, such as Vital Farms
- 1 head cauliflower (big stem removed, florets and smaller stems cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Unrefined avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add bread slices, pine nuts, salt and rosemary to a food processor; process into fine bread crumbs.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Designate one hand as your “wet hand” (for eggs) and one as your “dry hand” (for bread crumbs.) Using your wet hand, dip one cauliflower piece at a time into egg mixture and turn to coat evenly. Shake off any excess egg, then carefully dip the coated piece into bread crumb mixture. Then use your dry hand to add more bread crumb mixture to the cauliflower piece, pressing the crumbs gently. Transfer coated pieces to the baking sheet and repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- Brush or spray tops of cauliflower with a light coating of oil. Bake, flipping over halfway through, until cauliflower pieces can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY DINNER RECIPES?
If you liked the Cauliflower Tots recipe, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.