Baked Salmon Teriyaki – This Baked Salmon Teriyaki is my new go-to for super speedy weeknight dinners. It is SO good and so super easy to make.
If you have our Clean Cuisine book, then you know we always do “Meatless Mondays” and “Fish on Friday.” This is a little dinner game plan that not only helps me stick to my anti-inflammatory diet, but also takes some of the stress away from planning our weekly menus.
How to Make a Clean Baked Salmon Teriyaki
If you look at the ingredients in a conventional Teriyaki Sauce recipe, you’ll see it is loaded with sugar. Store-bought brands are even worse as they often contain pro-inflammatory and empty calorie refined oils too.
When it comes to taste, I can’t think of a single store-bought sauce that can ever beat homemade. Luckily, making a clean homemade teriyaki sauce is incredibly easy. It seriously takes 5 minutes.
How Do You Make a Clean Teriyaki Sauce?
The main secret to making a clean teriyaki sauce is to sweeten primarily with “whole” fruit. I puree dates with water and fresh (or frozen) pineapple and then add just a touch of raw honey.
Soy sauce is another key ingredient in conventional teriyaki sauce recipes, but most soy sauce is highly refined. I use unpasteurized and unrefined Namu Shoyu, which actually contains beneficial live enzymes. You can buy Namu Shoyu at any natural food store, by the way.
Of course I add plenty of anti-inflammatory garlic and ginger too.
And finally, I find adding oil to my Teriyaki Sauce does not enhance the flavor, so I just leave it out.
How to Make the Best Clean Baked Salmon Recipe
If you are trying to eat clean then you absolutely want to make sure to go with wild salmon. When it comes to salmon and choosing the healthiest fish, going wild makes the world of difference. Especially if you are trying to follow an anti-inflammatory diet. Wild salmon has considerably more anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats and much less pro-inflammatory omega-6 fats.
However, not all wild salmon tastes equally good.
There are 7 Species of Salmon – Which Do you Love?
There are seven different species of wild salmon, but only five are typically available in North America. They are: Pink, Chinock, Sockeye, Coho and Keta. There are subtle differences in the texture, color and flavor of each species. My three favorite types of wild salmon include:
- Chinook (in season May to June)
- Coho (in season August to September)
- Sockeye (in season mid-May to late July)
Be sure to try out different types of salmon if you love this Bake Salmon Teriyaki recipe. Then, let us know your favorite in the comments.
Baked Salmon Teriyaki
Baked Salmon Teriyaki is naturally sweetened – no refined sugar. It is incredibly moist and super healthy! It’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 recipe Clean Cuisine Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe (try this brand for Whole30)
- 4 6-ounce wild salmon filets (see notes above about choosing the best wild salmon)
- OPTIONAL: Sesame seeds to garnish
- OPTIONAL: Green onions, chopped
- OPTIONAL: Sliced pineapple
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place individual salmon filets in a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the salmon, cover with plastic wrap and let marinate 20 minutes (at room temp or refrigerated).
- Transfer salmon to prepared baking sheet (keep the marinade). Bake 12 -13 min or until salmon is flaky and cooked through, bake times may vary by thickness of salmon.
- Remove from oven and let rest for up to 3 minutes. Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions and pineapple if desired.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
How to Make Quick and Healthy Meals
Speaking of meal planning, I have five secrets for making quick healthy meals. One of which involves always having a tasty sauce recipe on hand. A delicious sauce can totally make a meal!
In this case, it’s the Homemade Teriyaki Sauce that does the trick. The homemade sauce is also what makes it possible to make a clean baked salmon teriyaki too.
Looking for More Clean Eating Dinner Recipes?
If you liked the Baked Salmon Teriyaki, be sure to check out a full month’s menu of delicious healthy dinner recipes (including weekly shopping lists!) in our Clean Cuisine Dinners digital cookbook.