Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream PerksOh yes, and this is an ice cream that is healthy to boot! In addition to being dairy free, the mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe contains zero refined sugar. Sweetness comes from fruit in the form of bananas and antioxidant and phytonutrient-rich pure maple syrup (Sorry Aunt Jemima!) Although maple syrup does contain sugar, the fact that it also contains antioxidants and phytonutrients sets it worlds apart from refined sugar. But what about the chocolate chips? Don’t chocolate chips have sugar? Yes, but I have found substituting superfood cacao nibs for sugary chocolate chips to be a deliciously discrete substitute. Not only do the cacao nibs keep the sugar content low, they are an incredible source of antioxidants and magnesium along with fiber and iron. And finally, in addition to the fresh mint leaves the mint chocolate chip chip ice cream recipe also gives you the option of boosting the minty green color with (surprise! surprise!) wheat grass. The wheat grass is totally optional because it does not impact the flavor one way or the other, but it definitely boosts the color, not to mention it’s impressive portfolio of nutrients including antioxidants, amino acids, live enzymes and over 70 minerals and vitamins. In other words, even if you aren’t planning on spiking your mint chip ice cream recipe with it, wheat grass is good stuff to keep around anyway!
What is the Best Ice Cream Maker?Decisions. Decisions. A high quality, high-performance ice cream maker is not as pricey as you might think. Without a doubt, my favorite ice cream maker is the smallest, cheapest and least complicated on the market. For less than what I spent on my coffee maker, the Cuisinart® Classic White Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker is absolutely perfect for making homemade ice cream in quart-sized portions. I also picked up the nifty quart-sized Tovolo Ice Cream Storage Containers from Amazon. When I first bought the containers a few months back I didn’t really think they would be necessary and bought them more for fun, but unless you are going to eat the entire quart of ice cream in one day, you will definitely want to get a container to lock in freshness and prevent freezer burn. Ok, let’s make some ice cream! Clear out some freezer space and make room for the healthiest mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe around.
Dairy Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 can cold full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup raw cashews (Note: if you have time, soak the cashews in water for 2 hours then rinse and drain)
- 1 frozen banana (cut into chunks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (packed)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 teaspoon wheat grass powder
- Place all of the ingredients except for the cacao nibs in a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer mixture to the freezer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until very cold.
- Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and add the cacao nibs once you turn the ice cream maker on and once the mixture is churning. Follow the manufacturers instructions for how long to churn the ice cream Note: I found this particular recipe turns to ice cream quicker than most, so keep your eye on it while machine is churning.
Soaking the cashews will make them easier to blend and also easier to digest.