Simple Stir-In Ideas for Your Vegetable Soup RecipeA lot of times we eat our vegetable soup as-is sort of like a side dish. But sometimes we make it the main event (especially for lunch) simply by stirring in just 1 or 2 of the following ingredients and make it more like a minestrone: • Frozen organic corn kernels, thawed • Frozen organic petite peas, thawed • Cooked quinoa • Cooked black or brown rice (we like short grain brown rice in my soup) • Boiled new potatoes • Cooked millet • Beans (all types, such as garbanzo beans, cannellini beans, black beans, etc.) • Organic edamame beans
Mexican Vegetable Soup
This mexican vegetable soup is deliciously flavored with roasted tomatoes and pablano peppers.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 poblano peppers
- Unrefined sea salt, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 8-ounces mushrooms, chopped
- Juice from 1 whole lime
- 2 large handfuls chopped kale
- 1 box chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the tomatoes and poblano peppers on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and season lightly with salt. Roast the tomatoes and poblano peppers for about 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are very soft and poblano peppers are almost charred. Remove the skins and seeds from the poblano peppers and coarsely chop. Set the roasted tomatoes and chopped poblano peppers aside.
- Heat the oil in a 5.5 quart stock pot (we like 100% green Xtrema Cookware) over medium heat; add the onions and garlic; sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onions soften. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the carrots and celery plus 1/2 a cup of water, add a lid and steam the vegetables for 5 to 6 minutes
- Add the bell peppers and crushed red chili flakes, cumin, coriander and cilantro; sauté for about 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes or so.
- Add the lime juice and kale and sauté until kale wilts and turns bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved roasted tomatoes and chopped poblano peppers, mashing the tomatoes as you stir them. Stir in the corn flour (optional).
- Add the soup base and simmer soup for 10 minutes. Serve chunky as-is or use a handheld stick blender and process until smooth and creamy. Serve warm.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Looking for other healthy vegetable soups?
Easiest Ever Thai Curry Recipe
Detoxifying Recipe for Beet Soup Gazpacho