How to Make Alfredo Sauce Without Butter, Cream or Cheese. Yes, It IS Possible.
And yes, the clean eating version is out of this world. It takes less than 10-minutes to make and it has the same beloved decadent rich consistency as the real deal. I know, it all sounds too good to be true. But here you have it. Whip it up and be amazed….
Defined as a rich, cream-based butter and cheese sauce, I realize the whole idea of even thinking about how to make Alfredo sauce without dairy sounds a bit far-fetched. Like many of my non-dairy creamy sauces, cashew “cream” is one of the secrets. But it’s not the only one. There are two secrets that really make this non-dairy Alfredo sauce recipe so over the top. Watch the video below to learn more….
Also, I just wanted to make a quick note about the non-fortified nutritional yeast called for in the recipe. Although many clean eaters are familiar with the savory umami qualities a smidgen of nutritional yeast can add to a number of recipes, many people don’t realize the most commonly used nutritional yeast is fortified with synthetic nutrients, which is not optimal. You definitely want to go with non-fortified nutritional yeast (my favorite is Sari Foods brand.) To learn more about why I prefer non-fortified nutritional yeast and why this is such an amazing superfood click HERE.
If you really want an extra special treat, serving the Alfredo Sauce recipe over homemade whole grain spinach pasta is an unbeatable combo. Speaking of homemade pasta, I know the idea of making pasta from scratch seems daunting but it isn’t nearly as difficult to make as you might think. And I can’t say enough how much I adore my Atlas Marcato 150 Italian-made pasta maker. But that’s another story…
For now, let’s just make some seriously good Alfredo Sauce!Print
How to Make Alfredo Sauce….without Dairy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon non-fortified nutritional yeast (such as Sari Foodsbrand)
- 3 pinches nutmeg
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the sauteed shallots to a high speed blender (I like Vitamix) and add the water, cashews, lemon juice, white pepper, non-fortified nutritional yeast, 3 pinches of nutmeg and the garlic. Process on high speed for 1 full minute, or until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into the saucepan and heat over low, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes, or until warmed through. Add more water if necessary. Serve warm.
Hungry for More Healthy Dinner Recipes & Sauces?
From Mac-n-Cheese (made with pureed butternut squash!) to BBQ Salmon (our sauce has no refined sugar and is sweetened with dates and mango), the Clean Cuisine Dinners e-cookbook has a full month of no-fuss, family-friendly dinners. We even provide weekly shopping lists!