Clean Ingredient Swaps:The basic banana bread recipe was already dairy free. Karen told me she had simply swapped the following ingredients from the basic recipe to make it compatible with what we promote on Clean Cuisine:
- Use One Degree Organic brand sprouted spelt flour in place of refined all purpose flour.
- Use unrefined coconut sugar in place of refined white sugar. (Note: this is a good article explaining why I like coconut sugar.)
- Use unrefined organic red palm oil in place of refined vegetable oil. (Note: this is a good article explaining why I like unrefined organic red palm oil.) You can also substitute extra virgin coconut oil if you like
2 Secrets to Making the Best Clean Banana Bread RecipeWhether you are trying to make a clean banana bread recipe or a conventional one, the following two rules would still apply:
Secret #1: Use VERY Ripe BananasPerfectly overripe bananas are essential to the success of any banana bread recipe. Ideally the bananas should have yellow skins (no green!) with an even smattering of brown freckles. If you don’t have time to sit and wait around for your bananas to ripen to perfection, you can do what Epicurious suggests and bake unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet in a 250°F oven until soft, 15-20 minutes. Let cool, peel, and start baking
Secret #2: Use HOT WaterYou want to use water that is almost boiling. It needs to be VERY hot.
Want a Clean Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe?If you want to make a clean gluten free banana bread, try incorporating the two secrets mentioned above into to my Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe. You’ll notice my recipe uses hemp milk rather than water as the liquid, so I would simply heat the hemp milk before adding it. Ok! Let’s make some banana bread…
Clean Banana Bread Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 minsInactive Time: Total Time:
- Total Time: 22 minute
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 cup spelt flour (I like sprouted spelt flour by One Degree Organic)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 VERY RIPE (super soft) bananas, mashed
- 1 organic, pasture-raised egg, whisked
- 3/4 cup HOT water
- 1/4 cup unrefined, organic red palm oil (OR extra virgin coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 -inch loaf pan.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the mashed bananas, egg, water, oil and vanilla; use a fork to blend ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir in the walnuts. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Friday 10th of November 2017
Hello Ivy, thanks for your wonderful recipes! I have tried almost all the ones in your book. I will definitely do your banana bread. I am looking for a clean gingerbread loaf, would you happen to have a good one. I want to make it for Christmas. Please let me know. Thank you again for your work and your help to keep us healthy!
Friday 17th of November 2017
I am so SO happy you like the recipes. Hearing such great feedback truly does make my day =) And I have a super good Gingerbread loaf that is made with hidden butternut squash. Here is the recipe in the link below:
Please let me know if you try it...
And happy (early!) Thanksgiving!