Recipe for Cowboy Cookies – This recipe for Cowboy Cookies is the perfect “trail mix”-type cookie made with chocolate, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon and dried fruit. Healthy and delicious!
What are Cowboy Cookies?
Think of this recipe for Cowboy Cookies as a way to get your kids to each cookies and the rest of the healthy nutrients loaded into this cookie. From oats, coconut oil and whole grain flour to dried fruit, walnuts or pecans and even some cacao chips. Life is good.
You can also visit the shop Cowboy Cookie located in San Luis Obispo, California. In 2001 I was visiting some family that lives local to SLO and fell in love with these oversized, perfectly baked cookies. It was there that I was first introduced to the concept and what inspired this cleaner and healthier recipe for cowboy cookies.
Healthy Cookies are Perfect for Anytime of Day!
Around here, we eat cookies for breakfast, snack or dessert. Most of our cookie recipes are so healthy, there really is no reason to reserve them for only special occasions.
The ingredients in this recipe for Cowboy Cookies far surpasses anything pre-packaged at the grocery store.
- coconut sugar
- coconut oil
- organic pastured eggs
- old fashioned oats
- flaxseed meal or hemp hearts
- walnuts or pecans
- unsweetened coconut
- unsweetened dried fruit
Oats are One of the Healthiest Grains!
Growing up, I loved making oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies. But oats have become a staple in our household full of growing children.
Old fashioned or rolled oats are a gluten-free whole grain. They are also a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Loading them into our kids diets mean they are going to be full longer, have healthier intestines for processing food and get the maximum advantage of the vitamins and minerals.
Plus, you know we love antioxidants around here.
Our Favorite Recipes with Oats
If you love tossing in oats into your recipes, here’s some of my favorites. So, if you love this recipe for Cowboy Cookies, be sure to check out these ones too:
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies – loaded with dried unsweetened cranberries
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal – full of antioxidants from both the oats and wild blueberries
- No Bake Cookie Oatmeal – chocolatey and perfect for breakfast or an evening snack
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – chewy on the inside and slightly crisp on the outside.
Recipe for Cowboy Cookies
Recipe for Cowboy Cookies is the perfect trail mix blend with chocolate, walnuts, coconut, cinnamon and dried fruit. Healthy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup organic coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashioned or quick oats
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal or hemp hearts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1 cup dried unsweetened cherries or similar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- In a classic batter bowl, combine the coconut sugar, coconut oil, eggs and vanilla. Using a handmixer, beat the ingredients together for 3-4 minutes until they combine into a smoothy creamy mixture.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, add the oats, flour, flaxseed meal or hemp hearts, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and sea salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- Pour the coconut sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Try not to over-mix.
- Add the walnuts or pecans, unsweetened cherries, coconut flakes and chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Turn on the oven to 350 and place the dough in the fridge to chill while the oven preheats.
- Take out 2 large baking pans and using a 3 tablespoon scoop, add the dough to the baking pans. Makes about 18 cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden brown. Let the cookies sit on the baking pan for a few minutes so they can finish baking inside. Serve warm.
Keywords: Recipe for Cowboy Cookies