Recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes – If you love key lime pie or key lime cake, then you’re going to love this Whipped Coconut frosted Recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes.
My husband Andy’s recent 42nd birthday was the inspiration for these Key Lime Cupcakes. Growing up in Florida, Andy loves Key Lime pie so much that we actually served it as our wedding dessert back in 2000. However, since our birthdays fall just one day apart (hubby’s birthday is on April 3rd and mine is on April 4th), and since I was the one making the birthday treats, I wanted to combine his love of Key Lime pie with my love of cupcakes….
Voila! Key Lime Cupcakes were born. All I can say is that I am glad they were!
And, I know I say this about every dessert I make lately, but I seriously do think this one is my absolute favorite of all time. There is no way anyone can eat just one.
But no need to feel guilty about indulging!
The Key Lime Cupcakes are dairy-free, made with 100% whole grains (I prefer to use biodynamic flour these days) and get the vast majority of their sweetness from phytonutrient-rich bananas and pure maple syrup. But I promise they taste every bit as decadent as any cupcake should!
As for the dairy-free Whipped Coconut Frosting, it was a natural compliment to the Key Lime Cupcakes and makes for an airy, fluffy topping that is SO much better than anything you could ever get ready-made out of a can.
Before getting to the cupcake recipe, I did just want to share a quick visual for how to fill the cupcakes with the Key Lime filling (which tastes just like Key Lime Pie, by the way) in the photo below. In step 6 of the recipe below you will use an apple corer to cut the middle out of the baked cupcakes and then fill with the Key Lime filling. It’s an extra step in the whole cupcake-making process, but easy peasy. And so well worth it!
Sending Happy Birthday wishes to whoever is lucky enough to get Key Lime Cupcakes on their special day =)
Recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes
Recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes with Whipped Coconut Frosting – this recipe is dairy free, gluten free and sweetened naturally with maple syrup.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 bananas (divided)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (divided)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Key Lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 organic (pastured eggs)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 1-for-1 gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (divided)
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut butter (such as Artisina brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot
- 4 medjool dates
INGREDIENTS FOR KEY LIME CUPCAKE FROSTING:
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (13.5 ounces each, refrigerated for at least 5 hours)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons organic powdered sugar
- Lime zest (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cupcake holders with paper liners.
- In a high speed blender, add 1 of the bananas, 1/2 cup of the maple syrup, 2 tablespoons Key Lime juice, fresh lime juice, coconut oil, eggs, coconut milk, 1/4 cup water and vanilla extract. Process on high until well-blended.
- Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to combine. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake holders. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and set aside on a wire rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the key lime filling by placing the remaining banana, remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup, remaining 1/2 cup key lime juice, coconut butter, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, arrowroot and dates in a high-speed blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Use an apple corer to cut out the center of each cupcake (see photos above) and fill the cupcakes with the key lime filling. Cover the filling with the leftover cupcake pieces and smooth over with your fingertips. Frost with the whipped coconut frosting (see recipe below).
INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEY LIME CUPCAKE FROSTING:
- Gingerly open the two cans of cold coconut milk, being careful not to tilt the cans. Carefully scoop the thick coconut cream only into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer (Note: do not add the thin watery part of the coconut milk from the bottom of the cans to your whipped cream recipe.) Using a mixer or hand beaters on high speed – whip the coconut cream for 4 to 5 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light, with soft peaks. Add in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar; whip for 30 more seconds.
- Dollop the whipped coconut frosting on top of each cupcake, sprinkle with lime zest and serve.
Last Step!If you loved our recipe, leave us a review below. This helps future recipe makers and ensures continued high-quality recipes for years to come!
Keywords: Recipe for Key Lime Cupcakes
Thursday 9th of April 2015
What do the dates do to the cupcakes?
Friday 10th of April 2015
Hi Megan! The dates are used for boosting sweetness, nutrition and fiber =) Also, please note the dates are used in the key lime FILLING rather than the cupcakes themselves.