If you are looking to relieve stress and boost energy, this Chocolate Maca Superfood Smoothie Recipe is just what you need! I initially created the recipe for my husband because he has a super intense schedule as a surgeon and really needs all the nutritional support he can get. Not only is he under constant stress with his job, he also needs mega energy to power through his long days. Back when we were first married he was able to handle working over 100 hours a week during his residency, but now that we are over forty, the long hours can really take a toll on him. This Smoothie Recipe has three superfoods that really do make a big difference for him.
Stress-Busting + Energizing Maca Superfood Smoothie Recipe
When it comes to combating stress and boosting energy, superfood maca powder is definitely the most important ingredient in the smoothie. However, the other two superfoods, cacao powder and camu camu powder, also have very powerful energizing and stress-relieving properties. If you do not already have all of the ingredients on hand though, I realize it may be a bit of a stretch to buy all three just for one smoothie. If you don’t want to buy all three, you can still make the smoothie using just the maca powder and cacao powder. Just those two ingredients alone will still give you tremendous energizing and stress-busting benefits.
Here’s the quick run down on just why maca, cacao and camu camu are so helpful:
- Maca Powder: A root vegetable, maca supports the health of the adrenal glands by enabling them to regenerate. It is particularly beneficial for balancing hormonal issues (especially those related to stress.) The hormonal benefits derived from Maca are due to the fact it is rich in plant sterols. Gelatinized maca powder is the best form to use because it is easily digestible and quickly assimilated. Plus, the published clinical studies showing maca’s effectiveness were all performed using the gelatinized form. You can purchase Maca Powder online HERE.
- Raw Cacao Powder: Not only does this ingredient play a very important role in the flavor of the Maca Superfood Smoothie Recipe, but cacao powder has tremendous health promoting properties. The Incas considered it the drink of gods, an association that gave rise to the scientific name of the cocoa tree, Theobroma cacao, from the Greek words theo (god) and broma (drink). With more than twenty times the antioxidant activity of blueberries, cacao is a highly anti-inflammatory food and has been shown to combat fatigue, balance hormones and improve mood. Although conventional chocolate bars are made with cacao, they are also made with sugar and dairy, both of which are pro-inflammatory foods. Studies have found that adding dairy to cacao actually blocks the absorption of antioxidants. You can purchase Raw Cacao Powder online HERE.
- Camu Camu Powder: Although it’s hard to believe, one teaspoon of camu camu powder has 1180% of your Daily Value for antioxidant vitamin C. The more stress your body is under, the more vitamin C your body needs. Your adrenals play a critical role in how your body manages stress and vitamin C is absolutely critical for your adrenals to function properly. Your body doesn’t just need vitamin C to lower cortisol and fight stress, this critical antioxidant is essential for more than 300 different functions in your body. Vitamin C even plays an essential role in the creation of key feel-good neurotransmitters, including norepinephrine, epinephrine, and dopamine. While you surely would not have a clinically relevant vitamin C nutrient deficiency if you are eating a healthy diet, you could still benefit tremendously from additional vitamin C if you are under a lot of stress. You can purchase Camu Camu Powder online HERE. ***Note: If you do not want to buy all three superfoods, you can eliminate the camu camu powder***
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 can (14 ounces) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maca powder (such as GaiaOR Navitas Naturals Organic)
- ¼ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder (such as Navitas Naturals Organic)
- 5 pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional superfood: ½ teaspoon camu camu powder (such as Navitas Naturals)
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients except for the ice in a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and process until smooth and creamy. Add the ice and process again. Serve cold.
P.S. WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO EAT CLEAN?
Did you know our Clean Cuisine book includes an 8-week anti-inflammatory lifestyle plan along with 100 all new recipes not featured on the blog?