- 1 large handful kale (cleaned and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup sprouted spelt flour (such as One Degree Organic brand OR biodynamic whole wheat flour (such as Isis Biodynamic brand))
- 1 cup 100% whole grain organic cornmeal (such as Arrowhead Mills brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or hemp milk)
- 2 organic (pasture-raised eggs (such as Vital Farms brand))
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon organic (unrefined red palm oilOR organic extra virgin coconut oil, at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 cup organic frozen corn (thawed)
- 1/4 cup jarred regular OR “tamed” jalapeno peppers (drained, patted dry and chopped (see notes in blog post above))
- In a steamer set in a pot of boiling water, cook kale until bright green and just tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop. Measure out 1 cup; reserve remainder for another use (such as a Green Smoothie recipe).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups OR lightly oil the bottom and sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In a blender, add the almond milk, eggs, oil, and honey. Stir wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. Fold in kale, corn and jalapenos.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until golden and tops spring back when lightly touched, about 22 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve warm.