- 1/4 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil (such as Barlean’s brand) plus more for wiping pan
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-purpose gluten free flour or biodynamic whole wheat flour (such as ISIS Biodyanamic Whole Wheat Flour)
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds (such as Barlean’s brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 organic, pastured egg
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen butternut squash puree, thawed (or 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with extra virgin coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, fresh ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt; set aside.
- In a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix), add the sugar, coconut oil and egg; process until smooth and creamy. Add the butternut squash puree, coconut milk, molasses and vanilla extract and process again until ingredients are well-blended. Add wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake on the middle rack in the center of the oven until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake, 45 to 55 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan before turning the cake out onto a rack to cool completely.