STEP 1: MAKE CASHEW CREAM
- In a small saucepan, add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place 1 cup of raw cashews and turn off the heat, allowing the cashews to soak for up to 30 minutes.
- Strain the cashews and place in a high speed blender with 1 1/2 cups of filtered water. Set aside.
STEP 2: START THE GRITS
- To a large saucepan, add 1 cup of cashew cream, 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the grits and then return to a boil, lower temperature and cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. NOTE: Keep your eye on the pot and add more water, 3 tablespoons at a time, if necessary.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and cover grits to keep warm.
STEP 3: MAKE SOUTHERN SHRIMP
- Rinse the peeled and de-veined shrimp with cool water and pat until dry with paper towels. Coat the shrimp with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and the Old Bay Seasoning.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat; add the three bell peppers, onions and garlic. Saute the vegetables for 6 to 7 minutes. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Turn the skillet to medium-high, push the vegetables to the sides of the skillet and add the seasoned shrimp. Sear shrimp briefly on each side, turning only once, until pink and cooked through (Note: be careful not to overcook the shrimp!)
- To the skillet, add the reserved 1/2 cup cashew cream. Cook for about 2 more minutes or until sauce thickens just a bit and all of the vegetables and shrimp are coated.
- Serve shrimp and vegetables alongside or on top of the grits. Eat at once.