INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEY LIME CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 cake pans with unbleached parchment paper. TIP: I place the cake pan on the parchment paper and with a pencil, draw a circle. Cut to size. Use coconut oil, as needed.
- To a high speed blender, add the bananas, maple syrup, dates, Key Lime juice, fresh lime juice, coconut oil, eggs, coconut milk and vanilla extract. Process on high until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Using a stainless steel whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients from the blender to the dry. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter evenly between the 3 cake pans. Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove the cake pans from the oven and set aside on a wire rack to cool.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEY LIME CUPCAKE FROSTING:
- Gingerly open the two cans of cold coconut milk, careful not to tilt the cans. Carefully scoop the thick coconut cream only* into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer on high speed – whip the coconut cream for 4 to 5 minutes until it becomes fluffy and light, with soft peaks. Add the vanilla extract, Key Lime juice and maple syrup; whip for 30 more seconds.
- Dollop the whipped coconut frosting on top of each cupcake, sprinkle with lime zest and serve.