PUMPKIN PIE DONUTS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil 2 doughnut pans with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small batter bowl, combine with a whisk the dry ingredients: flour, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, powder, soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a classic batter bowl, combine with a hand mixer: pumpkin, softened coconut oil, almond milk, 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk (use the egg white for an omelet!) and vanilla. Mix until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using a hand mixer on low speed, mix until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Don’t overmix!
- To a large decorating bag or 1 gallon plastic bag (cut a small piece the size of your thumb off the corner when filled), add all of the donut batter to the bag and begin piping into the donut pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove donuts from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Once slightly cooled, frost the gluten free donuts with the pumpkin donut frosting.
- To a small saucepan, add the coconut oil, coconut sugar, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Turn on the saucepan to medium heat and stir constantly for about 1-2 minutes until well combined and starting to warm up.
- Then bring to a low boil and immediately reduce heat to low. Stir 2-3x every minute until a thick syrup is formed. If too runny, increase the heat back to medium and let the extra liquid burn off some.
- To a small skillet, we love this non-toxic 7″ skillet by Xtrema cookware, add the chopped walnuts or pecans and warm over medium heat, stirring frequently until toasted. The walnuts or pecans will be buttery and slightly darker. Do not over-cook or they will burn.
- On slightly cooled donuts, drizzle the frosting and sprinkle with the toasted nuts.