How to make a French Apple Tart without butter, refined flour or refined sugar.
- 1 cup spelt flour (I like sprouted spelt flour by One Degree Organic)
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 6 tablespoons organic (extra virgin coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg yolk (Note: I always buy pasture-raised eggs such as Vital Farms)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 apples (sliced paper thin with a mandolin (note: keep the skins on for extra fiber!))
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 2 egg whites (again, I use pasture-raised eggs)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To make the pastry, add the spelt flour, brown rice flour and coconut oil to a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the maple syrup, egg yolk and vanilla and process until a soft dough forms. Turn out the dough and bring together to form a flat disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper to form a very thin rough rectangular shape. Transfer the dough to a large cookie sheet and remove the top sheet of paper. Bake for 10 minutes, or until light golden.
- Add the apple slices to a large bowl and toss with cinnamon and coconut palm sugar. Arrange the apple slices on top of the pastry crust and brush lightly with egg whites.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and the apples are soft. Serve warm with coconut whipped cream.