- -1 can or 15 ounces Cannelini or other small white beans, drained and rinsed
- -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- -1 cup chopped onion
- -1 cup chopped carrots
- -1 cup chopped celery
- -1 small zucchini, chopped
- -2 teaspoons minced garlic
- -1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- -1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt, plus more to taste
- -1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- -5 cups organic vegetable broth
- -One can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, with their juice (see notes)
- -3 cups baby spinach
- -2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with a potato masher and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5-minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach wilts, about 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve!
For this particular recipe, I especially like Delallo Organic brand Italian diced plum tomatoes in heavy juice.