Crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside, these really are the best gluten free blueberry waffles ever!
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 3/4 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 organic (pasture-raised eggs)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup frozen wild blueberries (see notes below)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a high speed blender, add the eggs, water, walnuts, honey, lemon extract and melted coconut oil.
- Stir the wet ingredients in with the dry.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes so the oat flour has time to soak up some of the moisture. Plug in your waffle iron to preheat now (if your waffle iron has a temperature/browning dial, set it to medium-high).
- Once 10 minutes is up, give the batter one more swirl with your spoon. Pour about 1/2 cup batter onto the heated waffle iron, scatter on about 3 tablespoons of frozen wild blueberries (do not thaw!!), add a few more tablespoons of batter and then close the lid.
- Once the waffle is deeply golden and crisp, transfer it to a cooling rack or baking sheet.
- (Keep your waffles warm by placing them in a 200 degree oven until you’re ready to serve.) Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
Frozen wild blueberries are PERFECT for making waffles and can be cooked without thawing.