* If you prefer to use fresh clams for this recipe, use the following instructions:
- Once you purchase the clams, be sure to scrub and rinse them several times under cold running water. Then, place the clams in a large stock pot and add 3 cups of cold water.
- Bring the stockpot to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover and cook until the clams open. This should take about 6 minutes.
- When cooked through, you’re going to strain the clams through a mesh sieve into a large bowl; reserve the broth for the recipe. Transfer the clams to a bowl and cover so they don’t dry out until you need them.
- For step 4 above, you’re going to remove the clams from their shells and roughly chop. Then add to the stockpot to complete the recipe.