This clean eating recipe for Asian Style Shitake Mushroom Lettuce Wraps is incredibly satisfying and can be served as a dinner entree.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil (OR cold pressed macadamia oil)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (minced)
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms (stems removed, diced)
- 4 carrots (diced)
- 2 tablespoons unpasteurized soy sauce (such as a Namu Shoyu)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon roasted red chili paste (such as Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 can water chestnuts (rinsed and diced)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- Pink Himalayan sea salt (to taste)
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion, garlic and ginger; saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add the shitake mushrooms and saute 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the carrots, soy sauce, lime juice and chili paste; saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Stir in the water chestnuts and scallions. Cook for 1 minute. Season with salt to taste.
- To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style.
I find the easiest way to mince the onions, shitake mushrooms and carrots is to use a food processor. However, you need to be careful not to over-process or your vegetables will turn to mush! Also, for best results you will want to process each vegetable individually (onions, mushrooms and carrots have different textures and therefore do not mince uniformly if processed all together.)