A party standby, everybody needs a recipe for a good Spinach and Artichoke Dip. This cleaned up version is rich and creamy without the mayo.
- Two boxes (14 ounces each frozen artichokes)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 5 large handfuls organic spinach
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Unrefined sea salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- White pepper (to taste)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the artichokes on a large cookie sheet and drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil and salt to taste. Roast for 40 minutes. Remove artichokes from oven and set aside to cool. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Use a mezzaluna or knife to finely chop the spinach. Set spinach aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; add the shallots and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, spinach and lemon juice and cook until spinach is completely wilted, about 2 minutes. Set shallot and spinach mixture aside.
- Add the water, pine nuts, white pepper and a pinch of nutmeg to a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix); process until smooth and creamy. Transfer the pine nut mixture to a food processor. Add the roasted artichokes and process until ingredients are well-blended. Spoon the artichoke mixture out of the food processor and transfer to the skillet with the shallots and spinach. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Transfer the artichoke-spinach mixture into a small casserole dish.
- ]Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve warm.