- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 8 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 habanero chiles (seeded)
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (divided)
- 3 tablespoons unpasteurized soy sauce (such as Namu Shoyu)
- 3 tablespoons organic (unrefined red palm oil OR organic, extra virgin coconut oil, melted)
- 1 tablespoon unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (such as Bragg’s)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt
- 2 1/4 pounds pasture-raised boneless (skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of all visible fat)
- 2 mangoes (diced)
- 1 firm avocado (diced)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- To make the marinade, combine the red onion, garlic, habanero chiles, scallions, thyme, paprika, allspice, cinnamon, 1/4 cup of the lime juice, soy sauce, oil, apple cider vinegar, honey and sea salt in a food processor. Process to form a smooth paste. Transfer to a large shallow dish, add the chicken and turn to coat the chicken. Cover and refrigerate overnight for best results.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature before cooking. Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Grill, turning and basting occasionally with the marinade for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- To make the salsa, combine the mangoes, avocado, shallots, jalapeno, cilantro and remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice in a medium-sized bowl. Gently toss all ingredients. Season with a little salt and serve with the chicken.