If you’ve got meat-loving friends or family members who are not excited about the idea of eating “clean cuisine”, this dairy free Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe is a dish that will surely win them over. I promise nobody will believe it is dairy free!
- 3 tablespoons cassava flour, divided (Note: If NOT gluten-free sprouted spelt flour can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds organic, pasture-raised beef top sirloin steak, cut crosswise into strips about ½ inch wide
- 1 ½ yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups organic beef broth
- 1 ¼ cups Clean Cuisine Sour Cream recipe
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into thin strips
- 8 cups cooked whole grain penne pasta or fettucine (see notes below)
- 2 cups frozen petite peas, thawed
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley
- In a bowl, stir together the cassava flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Roll the beef strips in the seasoned flour and set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot setting to “SAUTE” and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the beef strips and cook, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove beef from the pot and transfer to a large bowl.
- Keeping the Instant Pot setting on “SAUTE”, add 3 tablespoons of the oil to the pot. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Season the onions with ½ teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the wine and broth, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring and scraping up the browned bits on the pan with a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Clean Cuisine sour cream, sherry, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard. Add the sauce to the pot and stir all of the ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Add the beef strips back to the pot. Add the thyme. Set Instant Pot setting to “PRESSURE COOK” and adjust the “+” or + “-” to 15 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, you can perform a quick release by moving the Pressure Release to “VENTING”, or you can let the pressure release naturally and leave the Beef Stroganoff on the “KEEP WARM” setting for up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, transfer the beef-cream mixture to a large pot. Set the Instant Pot setting to “SAUTE” and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the pot. Add the shitake mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Transfer the beef-cream mixture back to the pot with the mushrooms and heat over “SAUTE” until warm.
- Serve over pasta and peas. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Traditionally, Beef Stroganoff is served over buttered egg noodles. However, since I have yet to find a clean egg noodle brand I usually serve my Beef Stroganoff over brown rice penne pasta. If you have a grain or gluten intolerance, you can always substitute lightly cooked zucchini noodles.
Brown Rice Penne Pasta Recommendation: I like Lundberg brand organic brown rice penne pasta.