This clean homemade chocolate ice cream recipe is dairy free and has no refined sugar.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, soaked in water for 4 to 5 hours
- 3/4 cup canned, chilled coconut “cream” (see notes below)
- 2 frozen bananas, chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Manna by Nutiva (see article above for where to purchase)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (such as Navitas Naturals)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) and process until very smooth and creamy.
- Pour contents into an ice cream maker and follow manufacture’s instructions.
Coconut “Cream”: This is the thick, rich and non-watery part of canned coconut milk. To get the “cream” you need to refrigerate your coconut milk for 5 or 6 hours or pop it in the freezer for at least an hour. Once the coconut milk is cold, carefully remove the top with a can opener and use a spoon to scoop out the hardened coconut “cream” off the top. The “cream” is what you will be using for the ice cream recipe. You can reserve the liquid water for other smoothies.