- 1 medium onion (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (stem removed)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unrefined sea salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or organic (unrefined red palm oil)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened store-bought or homemade hemp milk (see notes below for homemade hemp milk)
- 2 tablespoons organic Worcestershire (such as Annie’s Naturals brand)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons organic ketchup (such as Sir Kensington’s brand orClean Cuisine Homemade Ketchup, divided)
- 1 organic (pasture-raised egg, such as Vital Farms)
- 2 pounds organic (pasture-raised ground turkey)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and set a large pan of water on the bottom oven rack (supposedly this helps keep the meatloaf moist.) Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the onions, carrots, garlic and thyme in the bowl of a food processor. Process until minced but be sure to stop before the mixture turns into a paste. Transfer onion-carrot mixture to a bowl.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms to the bowl of the food processor. Process until just minced. Set shiitake mushrooms aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion-carrot mixture and cook for about 6 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Add the minced shiitake mushrooms to the skillet, season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook for about 5 or 6 minutes, or until both the onions and shiitakes are soft. Set the sauteed vegetable mixture aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, hemp milk, Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of the ketchup, egg and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Use your clean hands to mix the ingredients together. Add the sauteed vegetable and the ground turkey and mix until everything is well blended.
- Place the turkey meatloaf on the baking sheet and shape into a rounded rectangle. Brush the top with the remaining 1/2 cup ketchup and bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove turkey meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Making homemade hemp milk takes less than 5-minutes; simply combine 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup hemp seeds and process in a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) until rich and creamy. That’s all there is to it!