- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil the bottom of 10-inch skillet such as Xtrema® cookware
- Place garbanzo beans in a medium sized bowl and smash with a potato masher. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Form the falafel mixture into 8 medium sized balls (for baking) and 12 small balls (for the skillet) and place onto prepared skillet or baking pan.
BAKED FALAFEL INSTRUCTIONS: If you want to baked falafel, complete the next few steps.
- Using the back of a flat spatula, gently press down on each of the balls until slightly flattened. Using a silicone brush, gently brush the falafel with a little bit of olive oil.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then flip them over brushing gently with a bit more olive oil. Finish baking until crisp on both sides.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
PAN FRIED FALAFEL: If you want to skillet fry your falafel, this is definitely healthier than deep frying in vegetable oil.
- In a cast iron skillet, such as this one, add a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil and turn on the stovetop to medium heat. Allow the oil to heat up for about 5-8 minutes.
- To test the oil, drop a small piece of the falafel dough into the oil. If the oil instantly bubbles up around the dough, you’re ready to begin cooking. If not, wait another 2-4 minutes and then try again.
- Add the falafel balls to the oil and roll in the oil gently. Every 1-2 minutes, continue to roll the falafel balls until the outside is completely crispy.
- Place on a plate covered with paper towels and let the falafel slightly cool down. Serve while warm.
Try one of these dips to pair with your Baked Falafel recipe: Homemade Dairy Free Ranch Dressing or this Chipotle Sauce.