- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted (such as Barlean’s brand), plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds (such as Barlean’s “Forti-Flax”)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 organic, pastured eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup grass-fed plain yogurt OR coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally coat 10 muffin tins with extra virgin coconut oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, wheat germ, flaxseeds, cocao powder, baking powder and unrefined sea salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, eggs, sugar, yogurt (or coconut milk) and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.