Chocolate Chickpea Cookies look and taste like regular cookies but are made with superfood beans, sweetened with bananas and unrefined sugar, dairy free and 100% whole grain.
- 3/4 cup organic (unrefined red palm oil)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 organic (pasture-raised egg)
- 1 can (15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 1 ripe banana (chopped)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (I like One Degree Organic Sprouted Spelt Flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cacao powder (I like Navitas Naturals)
- 3/4 cup chopped raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) or food processor, add the oil, vanilla, egg, chickpeas, banana and syrup; process until smooth and creamy. Set wet mixture aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cacao powder. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Stir in the walnuts.
- Drop the dough by heaping tablespoonful onto the baking sheet, spacing the cookies about an inch apart. Bake until cookies are just cooked through, about 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.